Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reorder preferred wifi networks in Mac OS Ventura

I have 3 networks A, B & C in the same room.

I want my laptop to Join B first and if B is not available then C and if C is not then A automatically.

I do not want to deselect auto-join because I want my Mac to join all networks automatically but in the order I want them to be joined.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 9:53 AM

n previous macOS versions from Monterey and prior, there used to be a preferred network list that you could edit in the Network -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced screen. Since Ventura has done away with System Preferences in favor of System Settings that screen is no longer available. If both networks are in range at the same time, the list of preferred networks would determine which one would be chosen over the other.

If network A & B were already setup previously they are remembered. If you are trying to set it up now that you are on Ventura you can list the preferred networks and change the order via the command line in Terminal.

MacBook's will always assign the network interface en0 (zero) to the Wi-Fi device. Desktop Macs usually assign Wi-Fi to en1 instead. So issuing the following command below in Terminal will list the preferred wireless networks. The top most entry has precedence over the lower entries.

networksetup -listpreferredwirelessnetworks

Example results:

Preferred networks on en0:
	Starbucks
	McDonalds
	James iPhone

Let's say you want McDonalds to be the preferred default because there's a Starbucks close by. Who knows, maybe you prefer the coffee at McDonalds (*wink*)? This is just an example...

Remove the McDonalds network first

networksetup -removepreferredwirelessnetwork en0 McDonalds

then add it back but with a higher index value (starts counting from 0, 1, 2, 3, etc)

networksetup -addpreferredwirelessnetworkatindex en0 McDonalds 0 WPA2
                                                               ^ Index value is 0
                                                                 ^ WPA2 is most common Wi-Fi

Example results:

McDonalds
    Starbucks
	James iPhone

These settings sync with your other Apple devices.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 9:53 AM in response to anishkanoria

n previous macOS versions from Monterey and prior, there used to be a preferred network list that you could edit in the Network -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced screen. Since Ventura has done away with System Preferences in favor of System Settings that screen is no longer available. If both networks are in range at the same time, the list of preferred networks would determine which one would be chosen over the other.

If network A & B were already setup previously they are remembered. If you are trying to set it up now that you are on Ventura you can list the preferred networks and change the order via the command line in Terminal.

MacBook's will always assign the network interface en0 (zero) to the Wi-Fi device. Desktop Macs usually assign Wi-Fi to en1 instead. So issuing the following command below in Terminal will list the preferred wireless networks. The top most entry has precedence over the lower entries.

networksetup -listpreferredwirelessnetworks

Example results:

Starbucks
	McDonalds
	James iPhone

Let's say you want McDonalds to be the preferred default because there's a Starbucks close by. Who knows, maybe you prefer the coffee at McDonalds (*wink*)? This is just an example...

Remove the McDonalds network first

networksetup -removepreferredwirelessnetwork en0 McDonalds

then add it back but with a higher index value (starts counting from 0, 1, 2, 3, etc)

networksetup -addpreferredwirelessnetworkatindex en0 McDonalds 0 WPA2
                                                               ^ Index value is 0
                                                                 ^ WPA2 is most common Wi-Fi

Example results:

McDonalds
    Starbucks
	James iPhone

These settings sync with your other Apple devices.

Feb 24, 2023 7:30 AM in response to Mike Bremford

See P.Phillips response. If the two networks are 5Ghz / 2.4Ghz representation of the same network SSID then all devices will choose the strongest signal. i.e. Network A (5Ghz) and Network A (2.4Ghz).

I am able to change the preferred network using my method on macOS 13, 13.1, 13.2, & 13.2.1 as well as the unreleased beta.

The preferred network only comes into play when you have two or more saved networks within range of each other. If they are the same SSID then signal strength is the deciding factor. Another problem is if multiple networks are operating at the same channel frequency ranges.

That happens to be cars with Wi-Fi driving near one of my access points. They are all in the 2.4Ghz frequency range. Not a problem as my AP is mostly 5Ghz for my devices. Plus my signal is far stronger, stronger than that peak db on the chart.

You could also make the WiFi networks not Auto-Join so you can manually select the one you want.

There is also the iBeacon capability. An iBeacon is a bluetooth device and you can use an MDM (Mobile Device Management) server to trigger an action when in range of an iBeacon on managed Macs that makes it join a particular Wi-Fi when you are in range of a specific iBeacon.

Other software is appearing on the market. For example, the Home Assistant home automation software supports iBeacons so it can detect when you enter a room that contains an iBeacon. You could trigger most anything to occur when in range. There is also macOS software to work with iBeacons. Such as this from Twocanoes.

https://twocanoes.com/beacon-launcher/ this one you could definitely have it connect to a particular Wi-Fi when in range of your own iBeacon UUID.

Feb 24, 2023 1:20 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks James - although not the OP I have the same question.

However this doesn't seem to work in 13.1 - whichever value I give for "index", it's ignored and the network is placed at the top of the list at index 0. I don't know if anyone else can confirm this?

It's starting to look like this functionality was removed in macOS 13 - I hope that's not the case, it's very important for some users.

Feb 4, 2023 9:48 AM in response to anishkanoria

anishkanoria wrote:

I have 3 networks A, B & C in the same room.

I want my laptop to Join B first and if B is not available then C and if C is not then A automatically.

I do not want to deselect auto-join because I want my Mac to join all networks automatically but in the order I want them to be joined.

I do not see how this option is available in the macOS Ventura...

you can /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple in an effort to bring this back to the interface.

Feb 24, 2023 1:49 AM in response to anishkanoria

Are ALL 3 Networks broadcasting the SSID but on different Bands.

Example, running a Dual Band Router with 1 SSID.

One Band ( 5 gHZ ) is set to broadcast in Auto n and ac

One Band ( 2.4 gHZ ) is set to Only n

The Three machines I use, will auto pickup the most Reliable and Strongest Signal

Have experimented by Altering the SSIDs names for each Band.

I will still will pickup the Strongest and Reliable Signal

Feb 24, 2023 2:01 AM in response to PRP_53

In my case, network A is the strongest - WPA2, 5Ghz, but it's a private network that doesn't route to the internet. Network B is less strong, 2.4Ghz WPS and is routable, so that's the one I want to prioritize

Strongest signal might be the basis for the decision (thanks for your testing on that, it's good to know), but it's not the right choice in this case, and there are so many factors (some Wifi networks may charge for access, others have strong wireless but slow onwards connection) that this really needs to be under manual control.

Feb 24, 2023 2:12 AM in response to Mike Bremford

Consider appending the letter A to Network A, B to network B and C to network C

Easier to identify

Then, Change the Wifi Passwords for A, B and C Networks

Enable the Request to Change Networks in System Setting >> Network

Now, when the Strongest signal is received on machine - you could pick and choose switching or Not Switching Networks

Shot in the dark.

Tested here, not always the Best Results 😔

EDITED

Feb 24, 2023 7:48 AM in response to PRP_53

Several modern mesh routers only broadcast one SSID but dynamically shift 5Ghz / 2.4Ghz and if you are at the edge of 5Ghz range it can bounce between the frequency ranges. We've observed that while monitoring managed PC's and Macs for employees at home. Mostly end up adding AP's or advising an upgrade of their WiFi solution. If you have an older (or cheap) device that only supports 2.4Ghz there is usually a mode on the router to temporarily disable 5Ghz so you can join the 2.4Ghz device. Eero is one such system that does that. Once the device is joined at 2.4Ghz it will continue to use it. But joining initially is a problem as the AP mesh network really wants to use 5Ghz as the default.

How to reorder preferred wifi networks in Mac OS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.