Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spacing in Pages

I thought I had this fixed, but it isn't.

I'll be typing along, single spaced, doing paragraphs double spaced etc. in a Pages document.

Then I'll cut and paste a paragraph or two from an online article into my document.

Now as I continue typing, I can't get it to stop double spacing when I hit return. And double-double spacing when I hit return twice to make new paragraph.

How do I get my document to revert back to my original, normal spacing?

In Word, you could go into the spacing setting and revert the details of the spacing back to the way it was. Pages does not have those intricacies in the settings. It remains set at "single spaced" even though it is DOUBLE SPACING.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 9:39 PM

Hi purrrky,

Take a look at Format > Text > Style > Spacing > After Paragraph.

This document is set to single lines within paragraphs, but double spacing (14 pt) after paragraphs (just to save typing return twice).

Change After Paragraph to 0 pt to get back to what you want.

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies

Feb 5, 2023 2:15 AM in response to purrrky

Hi purrrky,

purrrky wrote:

Thanks, it worked, for now anyway!

When changing the paragraph style, the cursor must be within that paragraph. Or, for multiple paragraphs, make sure that they are all selected.

Why does your photo say Body* at the top? Mine says Default 1*

Default 1* may be carried over in the paragraph style of the online article.

Instead of Paste, try Menu > Edit > Paste and Match Style. The inserted text will then match the style of the paragraph within your Pages document.

Regards,

Ian.

Spacing in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.