Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2017: User login only loads half way and then stops... but only once, when I turn the computer on for the first time in the morning.

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of a strange issue.

I recently upgraded my iMac's hard drive to an SSD. Everything works fine, except for when I turn the machine on for the first time in the morning. Without fail, the computer boots, I log in, user data loads... and then stops halfway. I then have to force a shutdown to get it out of the freeze. This has happened every day for the last week.

... And then I try again, the computer boots, loads in seconds, and everything works perfectly. Obviously, this is not a computer-breaking issue but it is rather annoying.

This is where it gets stuck and I have to force a shutdown:

Have you guys got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks a lot.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 7:18 AM

Do you have FileVault Encryption turned on?

Use FileVault to encrypt your Mac startup disk - Apple Support

Do you have any external startup drives connected to the iMac?

If so, try starting up and logging in with the external drives disconnected.

Moving forward, try starting in Safe Mode follow by a normal restart and re-test in the morning.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Another option is to just sleep the iMac 24-7 and only restart for updates and basic troubleshooting.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 7:18 AM in response to skylarkiv

Do you have FileVault Encryption turned on?

Use FileVault to encrypt your Mac startup disk - Apple Support

Do you have any external startup drives connected to the iMac?

If so, try starting up and logging in with the external drives disconnected.

Moving forward, try starting in Safe Mode follow by a normal restart and re-test in the morning.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Another option is to just sleep the iMac 24-7 and only restart for updates and basic troubleshooting.

iMac 2017: User login only loads half way and then stops... but only once, when I turn the computer on for the first time in the morning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.