Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Home Videos to TV.app Library without Copying Files

I would like to add a directory of Home Videos to my TV.app library. However, I would not like to *copy* the files to the Library, but rather reference them, like can be done in the Photos app.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Reason being is that I'd like them to exist in the Photos app as well (in their own library, referenced) and they are too big to fit on my boot drive. I have them on an external drive.

Has anyone done this without using symlinks?

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 8:08 AM

Users can turn off the ‘Copy files’ preference, then the library links to the file without moving/​copying anything. Great for files on external disks. Influences future additions, without effect on past additions.

TV app: menu TV﹥Settings (fka Preferences)﹥Files﹥[uncheck] Copy files to Media folder when adding to library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 8:08 AM in response to WestVanPete

Users can turn off the ‘Copy files’ preference, then the library links to the file without moving/​copying anything. Great for files on external disks. Influences future additions, without effect on past additions.

TV app: menu TV﹥Settings (fka Preferences)﹥Files﹥[uncheck] Copy files to Media folder when adding to library.

Adding Home Videos to TV.app Library without Copying Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.