Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Original Media - Image Updates?

Greetings.

I have been watching tutorials on how to best setup and use libraries, events, projects... and prefer to have all of my media consolidated inside the library.

However, I am finding that updates to images are not reflected inside of FCPX (updating a .png file from Affinity, for example). Motion has this ability to update an image in your design app, then immediately reflect that update in the project.

I see that the current 'save media to library' is creating an Original Media folder... that is not being updated from any Affinity editing.

Should we leave the media in place, instead of having it copied to the library? How best to manage the back and forth from Affinity to FCPX?

Thanks again for community assistance.

Mac Studio

Posted on May 3, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 10:38 AM

That's because there is no Motion project bundle with managed media. All the media is always left in it's original location so you're updating the original file. Managed media makes this a more complex process.

Similar questions

14 replies

May 3, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey Tom, thanks...

I design in Affinity, export as a png to folder, then import png to FCPX. Edit that same png and save to the same folder. That edit does not get reflected inside of FCP. Perhaps I could update the file save path inside affinity to point to the 'Original media' folder for this project...

Thank you.

May 3, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis... that is the simple solution alright. For my file management/organization skills, I have found that to be a nightmare...lol. I have more RED in my projects than I have time to reconcile.

I guess file path it is, or I have also found I can just drag and drop the updated png file into FCP and delete the old. I would have thought there would be another library option by now. I saw somewhere (I think) an option to set an image editor...

Thanks again for your kind reply.

May 3, 2022 9:52 AM in response to Chizzer

If you’re working with files stored inside the library select the image in the Browser and use Reveal in Finder. That will take you to the image inside the library bundle. That’s the one you want to edit, not the original image that was in a folder somewhere. Right click on the library image and select Open with Affinity. Edit the image and save it.

May 3, 2022 10:13 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

The Affinity document is a file format that's not recognized by FCP, which only works with bitmapped images. The same happens with Pixelmator. The file has to be exported or saved as an image file. AFAIK Motion can't import an Affinity file either.

All good points, of course. FCP cannot use these applications' native formats.

I don't have Affinity Photo, and in my use of Pixelmator Pro I was exporting a png file, and just saving over the previous version.

That worked well.

Pixelmator Pro can export as psd files, with layers.

I have yet to test how well updating those works; it may be trickier.

As a side note, about Motion: whereas indeed Motion cannot import Pixelmator Pro files, Pixelmator CAN export a layered file as a Motion project. This is a very neat feature introduced a few months back.

May 3, 2022 10:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yep, that's correct.

We do all of the image designs in Affinity, then export to jpg or png and import to FCP. I am used to the workflow provided by Motion... you can export that image to the folder and it updates immediately in M5. I was hoping for the same in FCP. The drag and drop works... if there are a lot of edits, setting the save path to Original media might be an option as well.

Thanks again for your time!

FCPX Original Media - Image Updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.