Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th generation iPad not working after iOS 16 update. Help?

My 5th gen iPad, wifi only, is not working well after iOS 16 update. Help?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 6:45 PM

Computerblue70 Said:

"None of this is applicable, because the iPad won't respond ag=fter the first step, like pressing 'wifi' under general settings"

-------

Troubleshooting a Frozen iPhone:

Start with a Restart:

Refer to this link: Force Restart iPhone - Apple Support

No Success?

Refer the the following for troubleshooting techniques.

Being Stuck in a Boot Loop:

Your iPhone might be stuck in a boot loop. This typically happens when you unsuccessfully download somethings or an install stalls.  So, refer to my User Tip: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 6:45 PM in response to Computerblue70

Computerblue70 Said:

"None of this is applicable, because the iPad won't respond ag=fter the first step, like pressing 'wifi' under general settings"

-------

Troubleshooting a Frozen iPhone:

Start with a Restart:

Refer to this link: Force Restart iPhone - Apple Support

No Success?

Refer the the following for troubleshooting techniques.

Being Stuck in a Boot Loop:

Your iPhone might be stuck in a boot loop. This typically happens when you unsuccessfully download somethings or an install stalls.  So, refer to my User Tip: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2023 6:44 PM in response to Computerblue70

Computerblue70 Said:

-------

If Wi-Fi is Dulled-Out:

Try The Following in the Order Provided:

A. Restarting the iPhone:

If any changes were made (i.e. Installed Apps), then Settings (i.e Wf-Fi), may have become manipulated technically. So, try restarting the iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Shut Down
  4. Slide: Your Finger to the Right

B. Disable Cellular:

Try disabling Cellular, and using Wi-Fi instead, seeing if that makes all the difference. Cellular always overrules Wi-Fi.

C. Try manually restarting your iPhone:

2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

D. Reset All Network Settings to Default:

Example of items that will be reset: (Wi-Fi Passwords, VPN Connections, etc)

2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Network Settings.
  5. Enter: [Your Passcode]

As a Last Resort:

E. Restore form a Backup:

Have a backup of your iPhone? If you are not concerned with losing data, then restore your iPhone from a backup that was made when Wi-Fi was working. Prior to restoring, backup your iPhone, incase anything goes wrong with the restoration.

Feb 5, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Computerblue70

Computerblue70 Said:

"My 5th gen iPad, wifi only, is not working well after iOS 16 update. Help?"

-------

Troubleshooting iPad WiFi:

A. Delete a VPN:

The VPN is common a culprit. So, disconnect from it, unless required for work, school, and such.

B. Start Here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t Connect to a Wi-Fi Network - Apple Support

C. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

If Wifi is disconnecting, try clearing out your Temporary Internet FilesHistoryCache, and CookiesGo Here: Clear your Safari Browser History and Set Up Content Blockers on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2023 5:27 PM in response to sberman

I thought there may be others experiencing the very broad definition of "iPad does not work after latest software update", but that doesn't appear to be true.

here's more info:

All problems materialized after the iOS 16 software update and I am unable to reset the iPad. I can turn on the iPad, but access very few settings. WiFi is disabled and my sign in information does not appear under settings.

I can not access the sign in screen. I am unable to turn on wifi. Apps do not work, or they may open for 30 seconds and then close. I can shut it sdown

The only remedy I tried is accessing transfer or reset iPad. That does not work.

5th generation iPad not working after iOS 16 update. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.