Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Macbook pro a1286 utility menu window missing

Apple Macbook pro a1286 utility menu window missing. Usually I use commands CMD + R or Option+CMD+R to recover the PC, after feed the wifi info this starts to download info as it should be, download completed, Apple logo appears, shutdown the screen, but after that just blank screen is showed, NO utility menu window as it should appear to continue with the OS recovery. I made all the available tests, I runned the Apple hardware scanner 3 times, the answer is that all the components are good, no issues at all, but still I don't the utility menu window which is the way to recover the OS. I did easy in other simmilar PC's without issues, but this one is difficult. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 6:24 PM

Unfortunately the A1286 designation is too vague as it covers MBPro 15" models from 2009 to 2012. Try entering the system serial number here to get the exact model of the Mac:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Keep in mind many of the 15" models are known to have GPU issues and most of the GPU issues are not detectable with the Apple Diagnostics.

What is the reason you are trying to boot into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode in the first place? Chances are the cause for both failures are related.

Do you have access to another Mac? If so, what is the exact model? You can get the exact model by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". If you have access to another qualifying Mac, then you can try creating and using a bootable macOS USB installer instead.

I can provide instructions for creating and using a bootable Linux USB stick to see if the laptop will boot to another OS. Let me know if you are interested in this option.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 6:24 PM in response to rogerwrg

Unfortunately the A1286 designation is too vague as it covers MBPro 15" models from 2009 to 2012. Try entering the system serial number here to get the exact model of the Mac:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Keep in mind many of the 15" models are known to have GPU issues and most of the GPU issues are not detectable with the Apple Diagnostics.

What is the reason you are trying to boot into Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode in the first place? Chances are the cause for both failures are related.

Do you have access to another Mac? If so, what is the exact model? You can get the exact model by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". If you have access to another qualifying Mac, then you can try creating and using a bootable macOS USB installer instead.

I can provide instructions for creating and using a bootable Linux USB stick to see if the laptop will boot to another OS. Let me know if you are interested in this option.

Feb 7, 2023 9:55 AM in response to rogerwrg

If you have access to a Mac from 2008 to 2015, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer. You can create a bootable macOS 10.13 USB installer if you have access to another Mac from Late 2009 to 2018 assuming this 2011 laptop at some point had 10.11 installed at some point in the past since I'm not sure macOS 10.13 can be installed otherwise.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If macOS 10.12.6+ had been installed at some point in the past, then remove the internal drive and attempt to boot Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. Some internal drive failures can prevent booting from external media. Make sure all external devices are disconnected as well.

Apple Macbook pro a1286 utility menu window missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.