Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Misbehaving after Upgrade to Ventura on iMac Pro computer

After upgrading to Ventura on an iMac Pro, I can no longer drag and drop files in Finder. How do I fix this? A strange looking pop-up box showing the file name comes up when I attempt to select the file to be moved.

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 2:24 PM

10 replies

Feb 7, 2023 4:49 AM in response to Lownote

Lownote wrote:

After upgrading to Ventura on an iMac Pro, I can no longer drag and drop files in Finder. How do I fix this? A strange looking pop-up box showing the file name comes up when I attempt to select the file to be moved.

Have you shut down and rebooted more than once since your "Upgrade"..(?)

Did you try a Safeboot  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

If no insight or resolve— it would be most helpful to post a screenshot of the "strange looking pop-up box" hard to guess what this may look like(?)

Shift Command 4

Feb 8, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Lownote

Lownote wrote:

More information about my problem. I've figured out what is happening when I select a file or folder and then push down on the left side of my trackpad to drag the file/folder to its destination. It doesn't allow me to drag--instead, up pops the Quick Look box. I've tried this in both icon and list view in Finder and it is the same. I did reboot into Safe mode but couldn't duplicate this and in fact my Finder was behaving very slowly and very poorly, almost not working.

Have I got a wrong setting on my trackpad perhaps?

Did you make changes and compare your results..? Differ the combinations to suit your needs.

turn off that Look up and secondary click for starters

ref: Change Trackpad settings on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2023 10:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

More information about my problem. I've figured out what is happening when I select a file or folder and then push down on the left side of my trackpad to drag the file/folder to its destination. It doesn't allow me to drag--instead, up pops the Quick Look box. I've tried this in both icon and list view in Finder and it is the same. I did reboot into Safe mode but couldn't duplicate this and in fact my Finder was behaving very slowly and very poorly, almost not working. Have I got a wrong setting on my trackpad perhaps?

Feb 8, 2023 10:22 AM in response to Lownote

I was posting my last note while you were posting yours. Thanks for the tip anyhow. I've never had a problem with this before and have been using Macs and trackpads since they came into existence, beginning with a 128-K Mac purchased in March 1984. Strange that Monterey caused a problem with this for the first time.

Feb 8, 2023 10:33 AM in response to Lownote

Lownote wrote:

I've never had a problem with this before and have been using Macs and trackpads since they came into existence, beginning with a 128-K Mac purchased in March 1984. Strange that Monterey caused a problem with this for the first time.

One possibility, external Trackpads didn't always support Force Click and haptic feedback. I still have an Apple Trackpad that doesn't.

Finder Misbehaving after Upgrade to Ventura on iMac Pro computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.