Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie

After years of having no problems I now have an issue with iMovie in that it opens but goes into Not Responding. I have ample storage and 4GB x 2 memory.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 8:27 AM

Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. See if it responds in the new library. Then reopen your old library to get back to your projects, and see if it works properly there. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your projects.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 8:27 AM in response to petey218

Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. See if it responds in the new library. Then reopen your old library to get back to your projects, and see if it works properly there. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your projects.

-- Rich

Feb 8, 2023 9:36 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your help Rich so far so good your instructions worked. I repeatedly did the same because although a new screen came up a window also appeared saying “Validating Library “. This happened a few times and I let it run. After a few minutes all my projects came back. Hopefully I can continue.

Kind regards

Peter

iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.