Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'This iPhone/iPad is open in another window' message in Music must be a bug in Ventura?

I've updated a couple if M1 iMacs to Ventura 13.2. I'm used to manually drag my music on my iPhone or iPad by using Apple Music, but ever since I've updated I get this message 'This iPhone is open on another window' (or iPad). Relaunching Finder doesn't help. The only thing that helps is to go to iTunes Store in Apple Music and then back again to my iPhone or iPad under Devices. Then it shows the list of music again that is stored on my devices.

This not only happens on my M1 iMac at home, but also on my M1 iMac at work ever since I updated both to Ventura, so I assume it's a Ventura bug that needs fixing?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:45 AM

In this document from Apple on Syncing an iDevice via a Cable Connect in Catalina and Above.

I do not see anywhere in that Document the Ability to " manually drag my music on my iPhone or iPad "

Refer to link below specific to Sync and iDevice to Computer

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support (CA)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 2:45 AM in response to Jiggy1965

In this document from Apple on Syncing an iDevice via a Cable Connect in Catalina and Above.

I do not see anywhere in that Document the Ability to " manually drag my music on my iPhone or iPad "

Refer to link below specific to Sync and iDevice to Computer

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support (CA)

Feb 9, 2023 3:13 AM in response to Jiggy1965

Have taken up enough of the Users' time.

Good luck with this perceived computer Bug.

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

Feb 9, 2023 2:52 AM in response to PRP_53

Manually add mp3's to an iPhone/iPad is possible for a long time and still possible. When you go to your iPhone location in the Finder, under General you'll see the option about Manually manage music, movies and TV shows.

Ever since updating to Ventura when I open Music and to my device, it will show a message about my iPhone being open in a new window. Which is false since I don't have any windows open then. Then in Music I go to iTunes Store and then back to my iPhone devices again. Then it has fixed itself and I see my list of imported mp3's. Which I can delete and drag new tracks in as usual. Until I close and reopen Music. Then that message about an open window appears again and I first have to go to iTunes Store and back to my device in Music again.

Feb 9, 2023 3:00 AM in response to Jiggy1965

Perhaps the Meaning of " Drag and Drop " means different things to different users

If so, bad on me 😔

To me, Drag and Drop implies choosing a file or series of files and Dragging them from 1 Devices to another Device.

Much like Dragging a series of MP3 Files from Music to an External Drive.

Though in your computer case, to the iDevice.

Feb 9, 2023 3:09 AM in response to PRP_53

No, still means the same :-) When I finally get my list of tracks back after first going to iTunes Store and then back to my iPhone/iPad, I can delete the tracks stored on the iOS device and I can also drag tracks onto it. It will then transfer the tracks from my iMac to the iOS device.

That is still possible, but only if I first go to iTunes Store and then go to iPhone/iPad under Device at the Music app. When I open the Music app with the iOS device connected it will first show a message about the device already being open in another window (which it isn't).

So I'm guessing it's a Ventura bug that needs an update as it happens both on my home and work iMac.

'This iPhone/iPad is open in another window' message in Music must be a bug in Ventura?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.