Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change gmail password on Mac

I'm trying to use an App Password from my gmail account to my mac but I can't find the password field to change my password to that of the App Password. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:44 AM

Hmm, I just tried this myself and see what you are referring to.

I think you have two workarounds:

1. Delete your Gmail account from the Mail app, and then, re-add it back.
  2. Create a new Outgoing Mail Account server for your existing Gmail account. To try this, from the Mail menu, select Mail > Settings > Accounts > Gmail > Server Settings.
    1. Click on the up/down arrows at the far right of the existing entry in the Outgoing Mail Account field.
    2. Select Edit SMTP Server List ...
    3. Click on the "+" button to create a new entry.
    4. Fill in required fields. This is where you can enter the Google app password.
    5. The Host Name would be the Gmail SMTP server.

I believe the first option will be the easiest. I have noticed that Google will send you a notice, via a pop-up window to enter your Google credentials and not even requiring you to use an app password.

Ref:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 9:44 AM in response to JeremiahPepin

Hmm, I just tried this myself and see what you are referring to.

I think you have two workarounds:

1. Delete your Gmail account from the Mail app, and then, re-add it back.
  2. Create a new Outgoing Mail Account server for your existing Gmail account. To try this, from the Mail menu, select Mail > Settings > Accounts > Gmail > Server Settings.
    1. Click on the up/down arrows at the far right of the existing entry in the Outgoing Mail Account field.
    2. Select Edit SMTP Server List ...
    3. Click on the "+" button to create a new entry.
    4. Fill in required fields. This is where you can enter the Google app password.
    5. The Host Name would be the Gmail SMTP server.

I believe the first option will be the easiest. I have noticed that Google will send you a notice, via a pop-up window to enter your Google credentials and not even requiring you to use an app password.

Ref:

Change gmail password on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.