Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I update a gmail password in macOS Mail

I had a gmail account in macOS Mail. I wanted to add that account to my mobile devices but couldn't figure out the password. So I decided to change it...Mail directed me to a page to change it and I did, but it didn't update in Mail. Now I can't find that to try again.

That said, I now have a working password for the account in question. However I can't figure out how to update the password in Mail. Help?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 7:57 PM

7 replies

Nov 28, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Roscoe17

You are right. Thank you for correcting me. I personally no longer use Mail, so I thought I remembered it as being like other email apps I've used. Mail's email passwords are accessed by following steps.

• Open Mail
  • Click on the settings link under the Mail menu
  • That opens a window where the email apps accounts are listed. Be sure that you have the right one selected.
  • Next, click on the Server Settings button at the top of the window.
  • This is where incoming and outgoing passwords can be accessed down below. At this point they are blocked and a series of dots are displayed.
  • To display passwords click in the password window. This will open a small window which says Passwords.... Click on it.
  • Next opens a window which says 'Passwords Are Locked'. You are then asked to enter your Mac's password which will unlock access to them.
  • This opens a window where you will see items listed from from Keychain's menu.
  • Scroll down to the line that lists your email account and click on it. Then click on the Fill button.
  • If you have selected the correct line, the password will be filled in.

As you can see, this is an involved process. That is one reason why I no longer use Mail. It is problematic and sometimes difficult.

How do I update a gmail password in macOS Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.