Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign-in indicates that it's from another part of the country

When I sign in to my MacBook Pro or iCloud after changing something, I get the message that the device is being signed into in another part of the country. This prompts me to change my password. But I know that nobody has my passwords or my devices and I'm not signing in within 2000 miles of Virginia. Obviously, this is happening to others. Why is this not fixed?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 2:53 PM

A possible reason for an incorrect location is explained in the section titled, "The first time that you sign in with your Apple ID on a new device" by clicking on the link for the support article 'Two-factor authentication for Apple ID' --> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

"The notification might include a map of the approximate location of the sign-in attempt. This location is based on the new device's IP address and might reflect the network that it's connected to, rather than the exact physical location."

If you're connecting with wifi and not cellular, and the Internet service provider has their headquarters in another location, it may report the service provider's location and not where you are located.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 2:53 PM in response to lynnej46

A possible reason for an incorrect location is explained in the section titled, "The first time that you sign in with your Apple ID on a new device" by clicking on the link for the support article 'Two-factor authentication for Apple ID' --> Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

"The notification might include a map of the approximate location of the sign-in attempt. This location is based on the new device's IP address and might reflect the network that it's connected to, rather than the exact physical location."

If you're connecting with wifi and not cellular, and the Internet service provider has their headquarters in another location, it may report the service provider's location and not where you are located.

Sign-in indicates that it's from another part of the country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.