You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is Apple Airport Utility?

It's no longer on the App store!

Does not come with Ventura!

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 10:14 AM

30 replies

Feb 10, 2023 4:45 PM in response to John Galt

The OP did actually discover that AirPort Utility was right there on Ventura where we told him it was.

After we told them where to look, the OP reported........Version on M2 Mac Air/Ventura is 6.3.9

Seems the issue was created by the OP trying to install AirPort Utility 6.3.1 for some reason.

It is actually possible to download 6.3.1 from Apple.....see link below.....but not possible to install it unless you have an ancient Mac that is running Snow Leopard or an early version of Lion with AirPort Utility 5.6.x. Not sure why Apple keeps this download available.

Download AirPort Utility 6.3.1 for Mac (IT)

Feb 11, 2023 1:21 PM in response to phillman55

phillman55 wrote:

To correct errors you and bob have made. And how much you want to bet?

Built in apps on recent macOS versions including Ventura are protected against deletion, absent disabling System Integrity Protection.

Details on SIP: About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple Support

And, of course, disabling SIP is not recommended.

Feb 10, 2023 10:43 AM in response to phillman55

6.3.9 is the most up to date version, which is included in Ventura

6.3.1 was the first version that was introduced, so users who still have previous 5.6 versions can update. No need to check with Apple about this.

My suggestion to contact Apple Support was based on your report that AirPort Utility was missing from Ventura.

Delete the download of the previous version that you tried to install and Restart your Mac.

You will likely need to enter the Base Station Password for your AirPort device to get at the settings in AirPort Utility.

Feb 11, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

"Seems the issue was created by the OP trying to install AirPort Utility 6.3.1 for some reason. "

The 'reason' was I didn't find Airport Utility at first on my wife's M2 Air/Ventura.

Back in the day, Apple didn't include some more sophisticated apps on installation, you had to go get them separately. Like the whole development system. I thought this was the case with Airport Port Utility, you installed it if you got a Airport Extreme or Time Capsule.

When the new iOS came out with the app measure, I was vastly disappointed it was not compatible with my iPhone 6, that gave me the clue I was not living on borrowed time, but I waited til just recently to upgrade to an iPhone 14 Pro Max (partly because Apple paid for 1/2 the cost, but that is another story). I was disappointed again, that measure was not on it. You have to install that manually via the App store now. Thought AirPort Utility was the same thing. I have used measure a few times now and it works VERY well, like when you are in the hardware store and don't have a tape measure. I note that if the object to measure is too large for the display, you can scan the iPhone to get the whole object and measure recognizes that movement (God, what will they think of next)!

Feb 11, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Bob Timmons

"Bottom line......AirPort Utility was already there on the Mac all along.....right where we said it was.....and where it has been for 11+ years."

COME ON, give me a break, I just missed it! I FULLY EXPLAINED why I thought it might not be there, after not seeing it at first!

"Does not work for me. File read error."

Does it it run? Have you tried copying it again?

To correct an earlier post where I asked: " But why does installer bulk?"

I guess because there was a more recent copy already installed that I missed ACCIDENTALLY.

Feb 11, 2023 12:24 PM in response to John Galt

"Finding it on another Mac constitutes finding it."

Not exactly. I wanted to copy calculator from Sierra to El Capitan, and it wouldn't do it, after copying it, it would not run, said needed Sierra. Now why in the H E double toothpick did such a simple app as Calculator need Sierra? I wanted it as the Sierra version corrected some mistakes in the El Capitan version.

Earlier you stated: "AirPort Utility is incorporated in macOS. It cannot be deleted." You are mostly correct in that. You don't have persmission, just checked, there is system that can write, wheel (what ever that is) can read, and everyone that can read. But I bet you can log in as root, and change the permissions. Then delete it.

Feb 11, 2023 2:31 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for the explanation MrHoffman! So did John Galt lose the bet that never was agreed to how much $ was at stake? In El Capitan to to get handoff and continuity to work with a 2011 MBP I had to turn off SIP for a while (also had to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth board with a newer one). Just recently for some other reason, I forget now, I also had to turn off SIP for a while and that was directions from the mothership.

Feb 11, 2023 2:42 PM in response to phillman55

Airport Utility is part of macOS, and has been for many years.

If somebody disabled system integrity protection and then deleted apps or other modifications that are then feasible, that macOS install is best considered wholly corrupt, best erased, and macOS best re-installed.

I’d replace all passwords with new and unique and robust values, as well, as that level of access and damage is effectively a catastrophic security breach.

If an authorized user disabled SIP here, I’d likely still re-install, as I’m not much for chasing around the usual sorts of corruptions that can or have arisen.

Where is Apple Airport Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.