Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are numbers files stored?

I recently created a Health Stat Numbers document for use at the doctors. On the eve of my appointment, after hurriedly entering data for 3 months, I changed the name to the month and "Saved". I noticed there was no "SaveTo" so, figuring the document had been saved under the monthly name, cleared the data entered new data, changed the name and "Saved" again.

This was repeated for 3 months. Early the next morning, I printed out the last month saved afterwhich, the other documents were nowhere to be found.

A week has passed, where did they go?

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 11:39 AM

If you intend to create copies, use the duplicate command under the file menu. Otherwise, you're just renaming the same file, not creating new ones when you rename.

The "Save to" command is "move to," which will relocate the file.

The "save as" command is "duplicate," which will create a copy of the file.

You can save a file with no data.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 11:39 AM in response to BruneauJolie

If you intend to create copies, use the duplicate command under the file menu. Otherwise, you're just renaming the same file, not creating new ones when you rename.

The "Save to" command is "move to," which will relocate the file.

The "save as" command is "duplicate," which will create a copy of the file.

You can save a file with no data.

Feb 10, 2023 11:20 AM in response to muguy

The file that I printed, had the data cleared, new data entered and then saved. It had been saved with the new name. The preceding files saved with new names were not found anywhere. They already had the data in them that I had cleared for the next data entry save session. I would like a "save to" button, or return to Excel.

I guess this is just another reason why Macs used to be called user-friendly.

Are you telling me that if you save a file with no data, it will not be saved?

Where are numbers files stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.