You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left iPhone in Uber car: put into Lost Mode, called #, notified Uber -- what else to do?

My iPhone fell out of my pocket into an Uber car, but I didn't even realize it til more than 24 hours later. Once I realized my phone was gone, I launched my Mac's "Find My" app and saw the iPhone moving around randomly on freeways and city streets, undoubtedly still wedged in the back seat of the Uber car.

Here are the steps I have taken:

— Multiple times I tried calling the number and using my Mac's "Find My" app to "Play Sound" on the phone, but no reply either way.

— I then activated "Lost Mode" on the phone, locking out unauthorized users unless they know the 6-digit passcode I set for it. In the on-screen message I gave every known way to contact me -- landline phone, email, text.

— Unfortunately I hadn't ordered the ride directly through the Uber app, but through a "concierge service" middleman app, so I can't contact Uber about the issue directly; I contacted that concierge service, and they filed a lost item report with Uber, and gave Uber the message to contact the driver and have the driver contact me...but the whole proces takes up to 48 hours.

— Prior to picking me up, the driver had gotten lost, so he called me for directions — so, on the phone itself is the driver's phone number as an incoming call. I was able to log into my cellphone account and look at "past call history," but the feature of being able to see incoming call numbers wasn't activated yet. I called the cell phone company's help line, and they did activate that feature, but once again it takes at least 24 hours to become available. They themselves said they couldn't provide me the incoming call number directly without a court order, due to privacy laws.

And that's it. Now I'm waiting for Uber to contact the driver, waiting for the incoming-number ID feature to become active on my cell phone account, and waiting for the driver to notice my repeated calls to the phone.

What else should I do? Are there are any obvious or recommended steps to get my phone back?

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 3:10 PM

Well, the good news is that the driver FINALLY replied to about the 50th ping I made to the phone, and he has now returned it. So the answer to my question was: Just relentlessly keep pinging the phone (i.e. press "Play Sound" in the Mac's "Find My" app)!

1 reply

Left iPhone in Uber car: put into Lost Mode, called #, notified Uber -- what else to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.