Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unexpected error occurred. Apple TV (4th Gen)

I open the “TV shows itunes App”, select the “Purchased” menu to access my TV show. Select TV show and clicked on it. The show doesn’t load. The message “An unexpected error occurred”.

What to do? Some shows open and others not. Why? How do I fix it? HELP!!!!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 2:16 PM

A possible workaround.

Open the Apple TV app, select Library in the menu bar at the top of the Apple TV app (to the right of Watch Now, tv+, Store).

Select TV Shows in the left menu.

Programmes that give the "An unexpected error" play from here for me.

45 replies

Feb 10, 2023 10:25 PM in response to Cecila5

I've been having the same problem all day. I've tried contacting Apple but they were of no help. I posted this elsewhere as well but it appears that their url pages are broken as well. Check out how it just keeps looping over and over. The Flash, Season 8 on iTunes (apple.com) I'm pretty sure that's what is causing the error.

Anyway, hoping someone at Apple can fix this.

Feb 11, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Cecila5

My issues started on Thursday night (Feb 9th), about half my purchased content wouldn't load with that error, in the iTunes TV App only. I can view the content using the Apple TV app, but then that app doesn't keep track of what I've watched and loads the next episode without a pause, which I find really annoying. Apple really needs to get this fixed, I am tired of spending tons of money on content when they make it difficult to use.

Feb 11, 2023 2:16 PM in response to Cecila5

I have two 4K AppleTVs, first generation, with max memory. 

About 2 out of 3 of my purchased TV series will not open. Instead, I am receiving a message that reads: “An Unexpected Error Occurred.” I am not experiencing this issue with purchased movies.

I have taken the following steps to troubleshoot the problem and been unable to resolve the situation on either device.

-Made sure the AppleTV software was up to date

-Restarted the AppleTV

-Shut down and restarted the wifi router

-reset my AppleTV

-disconnected the AppleTV power and reconnected

-disconnected the AppleTV from the network and tried to access via ethernet cable.

None of these steps fixed the problem.

I find I have no issues accessing any TV shows on my iMac or my MacBook Pro. I can watch, for example, the final episode of His Dark Materials on my computer, but I cannot access that series and roughly 20 others on my AppleTV. I will note I was able to watch the next to last episode of His Dark Materials two nights prior, but last night (2/10/23) the error messages appeared, preventing access to the product. 

Additionally, as I was going through the aforementioned steps to troubleshoot the problem, I discovered recent edits to my music playlists performed on my iMac are not being relayed through my iCloud account to my other devices. I have confirmed these updates have not appeared on both of the AppeTV devicess and on the MacBook Pro.

Given all the above, the suggestion is that these issues are not device issues, but a cloud or similar issue originating with Apple.

Feb 11, 2023 2:55 PM in response to Gavin1969

The Apple TV app Library only shows other Family members for me, not any of my own purchased content, which is a lot. But I searched for one of the TV shows that doesn't play in the TV Shows app, and it plays just fine under the Apple TV app. Thank you for your insight. This is a great workaround until Apple gets the TV Shows app problem solved.

Feb 11, 2023 8:23 PM in response to Cecila5

I’m having the exact same issue a few certain shows purchased on iTunes all of a sudden as of yesterday 2/10/23 give me the error “ an unexpected error has occurred “ and it won’t load I have watched these purchased shows em without issue in the past. I have tried 2 separate Apple TV devices with the same outcome. I tried watching the shows on my iPhone and they work just fine

Feb 12, 2023 12:51 PM in response to Cecila5

Its great that we have all found a "workaround". Yet there is something wrong with the software in that it can access TV shows in one app, and not in the iTunes TV app. So, the creativity of the Apple Discussions group should not necessarily replace the need for Apple to address this issue. It is frustrating. Since the means of observing episode data between Apple TV and the iTunes TV app is very different. But it makes NO sense that accessing these shows should work in one app and not the other. Let's go Apple!!!

The creativity of the user community is not an excuse for letting this issue continue. It is definitely not an interference issue, and is unrelated to configuration as I have already gone through the relatively painful process of

restoring my Apple TV to factory defaults, and then returning it a working configuration in my home.

Feb 12, 2023 6:51 PM in response to Cecila5

whew… I thought it was just me! All

of my Apple TVs are doing the same… The way around I found is to airplay from my iphone. Works well enough but NOT what I paid for!

Sadly for Apple, my Samsung TV has Apple TV app and it works perfectly. Now Apple knows they have an issue and a big problem when their competitors app works better than the OEM… I’m embarrassed for Apple

An unexpected error occurred. Apple TV (4th Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.