Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GoPro video out of sync with audio from different source at the same event.

Hi, I've had this problem for a while now and have searched for an answer and just can't find a real solution. We record our concerts with a GoPro Hero 8 and a Tascam for audio. We edit the audio in Logic Pro and export as .wav 48. When I import the 4K 60 video into FCPX and line it up to the audio, by the end of the song they're out of sync. I align it at the end and the beginning is out.

I had this problem in Adobe Premier and it's why I quit using it and bought FCPX. I've read I need to convert the video, but I don't need to convert it to line it up in iMovie. What am I missing? This is a REAL problem. If I do need to convert it, can someone recommend an app or software? I don't want to lose quality. Thanks!!! Jen

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 10:23 AM

As Tom said if you create a sync clip then play that from the Event Browser, which avoids the variable of timeline rate conforming. Afterward if the drift is gone or significantly reduced that implies a timeline rate conforming issue.

Alternatively you could try creating a new custom project: File>New>Project>Use Custom Settings, and explicitly select 59.94 fps, then add the audio and GoPro clip. That would avoid rate conforming. If the drift is still present, it is more likely imprecision in the camera or recorder quartz oscillator.

It's always good to double-check the media's video frame rate. You can play the clip in Quicktime and do CMD+I, then spin down the disclosure arrow under "video details".

Note: An audio-only clip does not have a meaningful frame rate -- it exists as samples not frames. That said, there might be a few cases where a recorder stuffs a frame rate into the audio metadata, with the intent of providing info to downstream post production people. Even if that exists it should not affect NLE sync behavior.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 10:23 AM in response to Badmacblues

As Tom said if you create a sync clip then play that from the Event Browser, which avoids the variable of timeline rate conforming. Afterward if the drift is gone or significantly reduced that implies a timeline rate conforming issue.

Alternatively you could try creating a new custom project: File>New>Project>Use Custom Settings, and explicitly select 59.94 fps, then add the audio and GoPro clip. That would avoid rate conforming. If the drift is still present, it is more likely imprecision in the camera or recorder quartz oscillator.

It's always good to double-check the media's video frame rate. You can play the clip in Quicktime and do CMD+I, then spin down the disclosure arrow under "video details".

Note: An audio-only clip does not have a meaningful frame rate -- it exists as samples not frames. That said, there might be a few cases where a recorder stuffs a frame rate into the audio metadata, with the intent of providing info to downstream post production people. Even if that exists it should not affect NLE sync behavior.

Feb 10, 2023 5:13 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom! Thanks for the quick reply.

GoPro video is 48hz

We edit the audio before attaching it to the video for better sound.

I just rechecked the .wav from logic and it’s actually in 44.1.

I manually align the wav to the audio in the video and then lower the volume on the video.

So it looks like the problem is the 44.1 to the 48, correct?

I don’t understand why it works in iMovie & not in FCPX.

really appreciate the help!

Feb 10, 2023 6:13 PM in response to Badmacblues

Badmacblues wrote:

So it looks like the problem is the 44.1 to the 48, correct?

I don’t understand why it works in iMovie & not in FCPX.

iMovie presumes the user may not understand what audio sampling rate is and tries to automate things for the user, whereas FCP presumes the user is a bit more experienced and knows about such things...

;-)

Feb 13, 2023 7:51 AM in response to Badmacblues

It is unlikely the problem involves 44.1 Khz vs 48 Khz audio. It can be caused by timebase drift between the Tascam and GoPro. The internal camera/recorder timebase is often driven by an inexpensive quartz oscillator which can drift, just like different quartz wrist watches can drift.

Normally you don't see that on shorter takes, but the frequency stability of the oscillators exist on a bell curve. In a group of recording devices, if one has full plus drift and another has full minus drift, this can amount to 100 milliseconds per hour, easily enough to be apparent on a longer program such as a concert.

Higher-end cameras and audio recorders often have temperature-compensated oscillators so do not drift as much.

You can try retiming the audio very slightly in FCP. That can be tedious since you sync A/V on the start, then jump to (say) 70% down the timeline and examine the sync. If it's off, retime the audio and try again.

I don't know why iMovie would not exhibit that -- assuming you tested the exact same clips from the same devices.

As Tom implied another possible cause is rate conforming between the video clip frame rate vs the timeline frame rate. However if you only have one camera that is less likely. That said certain combinations of clip vs timeline frame rate may result in an automatic retiming operation to conform the two frame rates. Other frame rate combinations such as 24.0 to 29.97 fps use 3:2 pulldown or another algorithm so do not require retiming.

I believe there are some 3rd-party audio sync utilities that can do continuous sync drift correction but I have not used them in a long time.

Feb 13, 2023 8:36 AM in response to joema

Thanks. This is a lot of helpful info on how these things work. I’m going to do some experimenting based in these facts. It’s all fine in imovie. Same clips line up perfectly. I only have this problem in FCPX and I had in Adobe Premier too. So I’m clearly missing something on the important or there’s a format incompatibility with GoPro & FCPX.

if you have any ideas to try let me know otherwise, thanks for the help!

GoPro video out of sync with audio from different source at the same event.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.