Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this light/dark usage?

It is extremely disconcerting when the edges of an app suddenly turn BLACK or DARK BLUE while in the process of editing a document.

I have tried searching but there seems to bee absolutely nothing on Apple about though I do remember seeing it during the set up operation.

How can this be mitigated so it remains LIGHT and NEVER turns black/blue?

What really concerns me is that it was turned off until I had to 'force close' an app this morning with this happening on rebooting the system.

Sparkgapper

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 8:42 AM

I am not entirely sure, but it seems that this may be due to your Appearance settings.

I am on Ventura, so it looks a little different, but the principle is the same.

In System Preferences->Appearance (or maybe it's General in Monterey), you can choose between Light, Dark and Auto. My guess is that in your case, Auto is selected; change it to Light (which seems to be what you prefer) or Dark.

In my case, I have Dark selected:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 8:42 AM in response to Sparkgapper

I am not entirely sure, but it seems that this may be due to your Appearance settings.

I am on Ventura, so it looks a little different, but the principle is the same.

In System Preferences->Appearance (or maybe it's General in Monterey), you can choose between Light, Dark and Auto. My guess is that in your case, Auto is selected; change it to Light (which seems to be what you prefer) or Dark.

In my case, I have Dark selected:

Feb 13, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Since that is on another computer it would be difficult to do the screen shots and post here mostly because it is not dark outside. However it is quite simple. Think of a pages document up on the screen where LIGHT is the standard platinum sides, all four, with thumbnails on the left side and 2 page view (I call this the book format). Dark is the entire document edges turning dark, dark blue for the thumbnails and black for the other three sides. When this is using 'full screen' zoom mode those ares are large enough that when the change happens, about time of full darkness outside, it is somewhat shocking the first time it happens then just surprising afterwards.

Ssparkgapper

What is this light/dark usage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.