Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Health App steps do not sync to Apple Watch Activity App/Rings

Sometimes my watch battery is flat and steps only get recorded on my iPhone in the Apple Health app, however, there is no way I can get them to sync or add them to the Activity app! They don't count as, steps, exercise or anything. I have tried all of the steps online and in these forums. I have tried adding a third-party step counter, but nothing works. The Activity App must get data from the health app as I have read about how to add missing data to the health app, and then it syncs with Activity. This works for workouts as I have tried it. I can't add the steps to the Health app as they are already there and it will double them up! So why do the steps not sync to Activity? It is driving me nuts. I have read many others having the same issue but no answers as yet.

Apple Watch Series 8 watchOS 9.3.1 IPhone 12 Pro Max IOS 16.3.1

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 11:51 AM

Thanks for the charge info... I haven't ever let the battery run flat just low and then had to charge it unexpectedly...because I do track sleep as a big part of my apple watch love I usually charge before I go to sleep but sometimes I forget! I had no idea the charging time was 2 hours though, to fully charge so thanks for that. As far as adding data goes... workouts, sleep from Autosleep Plus, and everything else from health seem to sync into the activity app but not steps!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 11:51 AM in response to LD150

Thanks for the charge info... I haven't ever let the battery run flat just low and then had to charge it unexpectedly...because I do track sleep as a big part of my apple watch love I usually charge before I go to sleep but sometimes I forget! I had no idea the charging time was 2 hours though, to fully charge so thanks for that. As far as adding data goes... workouts, sleep from Autosleep Plus, and everything else from health seem to sync into the activity app but not steps!

Feb 14, 2023 6:32 PM in response to LD150

Ok thanks, I guess it just is what it is... kinda senseless and messy :)

I've noticed a lot of odd things happening throughout the IOS recently, where features are added or fixed and then removed and unfixed with a further update... sounds like they are in the sandpit a lot at the mo... hopefully for the good!

The moral of the story is... don't take your watch off when you want stuff recorded ;) I will do as you suggested and set myself a charging schedule!

Feb 14, 2023 12:01 PM in response to Community User

Thanks, I read your comments on these issues elsewhere and it makes sense that the watch is just another source of data. I do find Health and Activity confusing as to which is the HUB, and why are there two similar apps. I have heard that Activity is being rethought as an app that doesn't require a watch so things will probably all change again.

My main issue is why all other data from health will update in the Activity app but not Steps. Either steps recorded in health or those from a third party, nonetheless, but Apple recommended app.

My readings yesterday were:

Steps Activity Tracker App by yearofcode.com 16,749

Steps recorded by Apple Health app 16,216

Steps showing in Apple Activity app 14,452

The discrepancy of approx 2000 steps happened while my watch was on charge, but as I said the manually added workout synced, but not the steps.

I just can't figure out what's going on.

I wondered if the order of data/input sources in the Health app made a difference but it doesn't seem to.

Thanks for your time!

Feb 14, 2023 12:24 PM in response to timpoa

The Fitness app without a Watch was introduced to the iphone with iOS16 though it only closes the red ring. As soon as you pair a Watch the Watch closes the green and blue rings.

Steps have always been there in iphone and Watch, but don't expect them to match.

Both are estimates, just like calories.

Health app is the database (hub) for compiling and storing all activity data, but don't expect it to work in reverse.

Feb 14, 2023 12:51 AM in response to timpoa

Sometimes? That sounds like you let the battry run down to zero more than once. That is bad for the battery. Charge your Watch all night every night, unless you use sleep montoring in which case have a routine of charging for 2 hours when you wake.

If the phone took over from the Watch because your battery ran down then iPhone is less accurate, depending on if you were holding it or it was in a pocket etc, and may not have been a smooth changeover anyway.

Adding data to Health may not register on the Activity app.

Feb 15, 2023 1:47 AM in response to timpoa

I don't recognise that untidy scenario, I have had very few problems with updates if any. Problems with updatING maybe which is why unpairing/erasing and setting up again is universal fix number 2 after fix number 1 which is restarting.

Main problem is learning how the activity/fitness/health relationship works. That and accepting that the exercise itself is of more value than rings and awards.

Feb 14, 2023 7:29 AM in response to timpoa

Any steps recorded with the phone go straight to the health app they are nothing to do with the fitness/activity apps as they are watch only apps.

Apple Health App steps do not sync to Apple Watch Activity App/Rings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.