Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ad Blockers

I'm receiving a much greater number of ads on email, websites, and texts on my 27" iMac and 13 mini. Should I be checking my settings on all my devices for any new OS options for blocking?

I'm also aware that there are Are Ad Blockers available out there. Do they work and are they safe to use? If so, which would be recommended?

Thanks in advance

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 7:15 AM

A normal Ad Blocker does not block advertisements in mail (Spam Mail), the mail client you use must handle that. But advertisements on websites can be easily removed by an ad blocker, to provide a faster and less disturbing experience.

Ad Blocker can basically see the websites you visit. That way they can scan and remove advertisements. So it's a matter of trust. As I wrote it in another post where someone asked the same thing. Then you have to choose whether you want to share your information with everyone, or just a single company that you trust.

I myself use Ad Guard, both on my MacBook and my iPhone, and have never experienced any problems. Ad Guard is one of the major providers of Ad Blocking software and they get good reviews.

Ad Guard can be downloaded from the App Store and is free for iPhone. If you want to use their extended features, then it costs a small amount. You can also download and use the Ad Guard add-on for Safari on Mac for free.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 7:15 AM in response to jjboye

A normal Ad Blocker does not block advertisements in mail (Spam Mail), the mail client you use must handle that. But advertisements on websites can be easily removed by an ad blocker, to provide a faster and less disturbing experience.

Ad Blocker can basically see the websites you visit. That way they can scan and remove advertisements. So it's a matter of trust. As I wrote it in another post where someone asked the same thing. Then you have to choose whether you want to share your information with everyone, or just a single company that you trust.

I myself use Ad Guard, both on my MacBook and my iPhone, and have never experienced any problems. Ad Guard is one of the major providers of Ad Blocking software and they get good reviews.

Ad Guard can be downloaded from the App Store and is free for iPhone. If you want to use their extended features, then it costs a small amount. You can also download and use the Ad Guard add-on for Safari on Mac for free.

Ad Blockers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.