Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail smart mailbox not filtering

The Smart Mailboxes that I create in Mail, Ventura 13.2.1 do not filter. They just show a very large number of unread emails (>155K) regardless of the criteria input. So does the "Today" System Smart Mailbox. I Went through the reindexing process, which took a while but didn't change anything. I deleted the smart mailbox and re-created it, also without any change.

My regular mailboxes show no unread emails and flagged emails appear normal, showing the number of emails in each flagged category. Anything else to try?

Mac mini (2023 with M2 Pro)

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 3:07 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2023 3:07 PM in response to lowellfrombrookfield

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Mar 18, 2023 9:28 AM in response to lowellfrombrookfield

One additional note to this problem that is not resolved. The smart mailboxes that I create from scratch are the ones that do not work. But there were a couple smart mailboxes that I had in place before I purchased the new Mac Mini and upgraded to Ventura that still work and are filtering correctly. I decided to try Duplicating one of them, and then changing the filtering criteria, and it seems to work! I have created 3 "new" smart mailboxes using this technique, and they all seem to be filtering correctly. But any one that I create by selecting New Smart Mailbox from the menu does not work, even if the criteria are exactly the same as one Smart Mailbox that works! Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can use this tidbit to identify the problem.

Mail smart mailbox not filtering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.