Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey reinstallation fails

Ref MacBook Air 2015:  If I were to reformat the SSD, would there be a way to reinstall OS Monterey.

Here’s the problem. I’m unable to reinstall Monterey from recovery mode. The process stalls midway through, with a message that the installation cannot proceed because the SSD  (one  terabyte, Transcend  third party drive) has a problem - I can’t remember the exact message. I’ve run Disk Utility which says it has repaired the drive. I’ve also run Mac Cleaner and BitDefender, but the reinstall problem persists. 

All apps remain unaffected, except Finder which won’t open. I’ve tried several opening methods, but Finder doesn’t respond. 

Coincidentally, volume mismatch error messages have been popping up regularly, apparently a well known issue with Monterey. I’ve ignored these because the system didn’t appear affected.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Bernard

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 3:12 AM

Sorry to report - there is a know issue attempting to install or reinstall Monterey to a Non Original Apple Drive

The Installer of Monterey has an EFI BOOT ROM contained within the Installer

During the initial installation process, it will verify of such an Original Apple Drive is present as the Destination Drive.

Should it Not Find that Apple Original Drive - the installation may baulk or refuse to install.

Background, the EFI BOOT ROM Must Flash the Computer and Not the Drive itself.

Until this key and specific action is achieved, the installation will go no further.

Workaround if to replace the After Market drive with an Apple Original and run the installation to that drive.

Once done reverse the earlier step and run the installation to the After Market Drive

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2023 3:12 AM in response to bernard@lanecove

Sorry to report - there is a know issue attempting to install or reinstall Monterey to a Non Original Apple Drive

The Installer of Monterey has an EFI BOOT ROM contained within the Installer

During the initial installation process, it will verify of such an Original Apple Drive is present as the Destination Drive.

Should it Not Find that Apple Original Drive - the installation may baulk or refuse to install.

Background, the EFI BOOT ROM Must Flash the Computer and Not the Drive itself.

Until this key and specific action is achieved, the installation will go no further.

Workaround if to replace the After Market drive with an Apple Original and run the installation to that drive.

Once done reverse the earlier step and run the installation to the After Market Drive

Monterey reinstallation fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.