Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I set the default view for the "Open File" dialog window?

On my M1 Macbook Pro whenever I want to open a file from Safari, the dialog box comes up in Icon view, which is a pain in the *ss to work with. Yes, I can change this to list view (which would be my preferred default view), but this change lasts only for that occasion. Once I opened the file I wanted, got back to browsing it resets to icon view, so when I need to open another file, the whole process starts again, I have to switch from Icon to List view, before I can open the file. Having hundreds of images in a folder makes it very hard to find the correct one in icon view...

Strange thing is, that I downloaded the Safari Technology Preview app too, and there, the "open file" dialog works as it should. It opens always in list view mode.

So, I assume there must be a setting somewhere in Library for this behaviour, but I could not find it yet...

Any idea where this setting can be found?

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 2:00 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 16, 2023 11:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes I know that, but this icon view open dialog issue made my work so slow, that I barely used Safari anymore, and therefore I had almost nothing to loose here. It is really strange, that I saw other people having the very same error, but nobody had it solved, and there was not any solution proposal from Apple either.

But now I can finally go back to Safari and get rid of Chrome.

Where can I set the default view for the "Open File" dialog window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.