Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro 2 Microphone Quality Voicenotes / Recording

Hi all,

I came across a similar question (no answers) which I am also having trouble with;

I‘m having trouble with my AirPods Pro 2 microphone quality when on calls and third party apps. It‘s especially bad when recording voice messages on WhatsApp.

My voice comes across as muffled and quiet, barely perceivable. i’ve especially noticed the issue when recording voice notes on WhatsApp, the first 0,5 to 1 seconds of me speaking is delayed and is always quiet and muffled, potentially as if some algorithm is trying to „find“ my voice first, but it fails and only picks the voice up as background noise (?)

I‘ve tried changing the noise cancellation modes, the microphone location from automatic to left/right, restarting the app, restarting the phone, checking the permissions and forgetting/reconnecting the AirPods.

Is there anything else I could try to fix this? And am I the only one with this particular problem? Is this a problem with my AirPods or a known issue? Is there a way to use the phone microphone to support voice recordings even when AirPods are in use?

Thank you!

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 3:14 AM

Hello! Had the exact same problem. Sounded like there was time to ‘boot up’ the microphone and this muffled sound, but after some time recording I was hearing my voice clearly. I turned on sound recognition and they work great now, no delay at all.

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 17, 2023 3:34 AM in response to LeeLolSoManyNumber

Amazing thank you I’ll give this a try and report back! Was your issue also in WhatsApp? Did you find that it helped with the overall sound quality / making it clearer when you do record? I find myself having to talk really loudly and it still comes out extremely muffled and picking up a lot of background noise. Hoping this helps..

AirPods Pro 2 Microphone Quality Voicenotes / Recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.