Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i need to update my iPhotos on my mac

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 9:01 AM

I'm pretty sure you can get the pictures. But help us understand, better. Is the program you're using named iPhoto or Photos? What, exactly, happens when you click on the icon? Do you get a message?

What Mac are you using, and how old is it? What Operating System are you using on you Mac? Under the Apple, upper left corner, it has "About This Mac" -- that information would be helpful.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2023 9:01 AM in response to TTBlaha

I'm pretty sure you can get the pictures. But help us understand, better. Is the program you're using named iPhoto or Photos? What, exactly, happens when you click on the icon? Do you get a message?

What Mac are you using, and how old is it? What Operating System are you using on you Mac? Under the Apple, upper left corner, it has "About This Mac" -- that information would be helpful.

Feb 16, 2023 8:22 AM in response to TTBlaha

Do you mean iPhoto or Photos?

iPhoto can no longer be updated, the last version has been released in 2015, when iPhoto has been replaced by Photos. And Photos cannot be updated individually, it is a part of the system and updated by installing a new system version.

Why do you need an update? What is the problem? And which system version do you currently have installed?

Feb 16, 2023 2:55 PM in response to TTBlaha

iPhoto won't run on Ventura.

iPhoto was discontinued 7 years ago. It is no longer developed or sold. It was replaced by the more powerful (and free) Photos.app that comes with the OS. Migrating from iPhoto is quite straightforward:

With versions of Photos prior to v8 (released with OS Ventura) you simply open the iPhoto Library with the newer app. It does the rest.

With v8 it is different. You can import images from the iPhoto Library, so you can be selective about what you import, and can consolidate images into a pre-existing Photos library.

If you prefer not to use Photos there are several 3rd party apps that you can use. Which to choose depends on the kind of photographer you are and your budget.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.