Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access photos through Finder

Brand new M2 macbook running Ventura 13.2.1 with a frustrating issue that occurs when trying to access photo in Finder to add to documents or Facebook etc.: only the most recent 12 or so photos appear and there's no way to scroll to find more. I have thousands of photos, all connected across all devices using iCloud but, when I try to access them, there's just the latest 12.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 11:01 PM

As iPhoto is no longer running on your nice new Mac, you are probably asking about Photos and not iPhoto, right?

You should be seeing all photos from your System Photos Library, when you try to upload a photo and use the Media Browser. When the dialog to select a photo appears, scroll down in the sidebar to the section Media and click "Photos". Do not try to open the Photos Library directly from the Picture folder, but use the Media section. It may take a while, until the photos will appear under Media > Photos, if your library is large.

What are your Settings for iCloud? If you are using iCloud Photos, you may not be seeing all photos in the Media section however,. If "Optimize Mac Storage" is enabled, only the photos that have been downloaded from iCloud will appear. View the photos you want tto use enlarged in Photos, before you try to access them from other apps.

My screenshot is in German, sorry, I cannot switch the language right now to English, but it should show you where to find the Media section in the sidebar.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2023 11:01 PM in response to Fenway1967

As iPhoto is no longer running on your nice new Mac, you are probably asking about Photos and not iPhoto, right?

You should be seeing all photos from your System Photos Library, when you try to upload a photo and use the Media Browser. When the dialog to select a photo appears, scroll down in the sidebar to the section Media and click "Photos". Do not try to open the Photos Library directly from the Picture folder, but use the Media section. It may take a while, until the photos will appear under Media > Photos, if your library is large.

What are your Settings for iCloud? If you are using iCloud Photos, you may not be seeing all photos in the Media section however,. If "Optimize Mac Storage" is enabled, only the photos that have been downloaded from iCloud will appear. View the photos you want tto use enlarged in Photos, before you try to access them from other apps.

My screenshot is in German, sorry, I cannot switch the language right now to English, but it should show you where to find the Media section in the sidebar.

Feb 17, 2023 11:53 PM in response to léonie

Thanks so much for the answer. Yes, it's 'Photos," not iPhoto. Old habits die hard. I am doing exactly as you say but having no results. However, I look in my iCloud section of System Settings and I notice that while ICould settings are on, "Photos" are missing from "Apps syncing to iCloud Drive." Since I am buying iCloud storage through Apple for my photos, shouldn't they be on there? I see music, etc. but not photos with no way to add them. Very strange!

Can't access photos through Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.