Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not working - “Hey Siri, start an Outdoor walking/running/cycling workout”

Hello everyone,

i used to raise my wrist to ask Siri to start workouts for me on my Apple Watch 7

since watchOS 9 or 9.1 (can’t remember exactly) this is no longer possible as Siri reports a problem. (Feedback example: “Sorry, I am having trouble right now, try again later”)

exception:

when having AirPods in ears and connected to Bluetooth to the watch and NOT to the iPhone (watch > settings.app > Bluetooth > tap AirPods to make sure they’re connected to the watch)

that way I can raise my wrist and ask Siri to start a workout and she will do it.

does someone have a solution please?

my devices

Watch 7 Nike with watchOS 9.3.1

iphone 12 with iOS 16.3.1

thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 10:53 AM

Do you press the crown before saying, "Hey, Siri?"

Is it possible the microphone is not working? Maybe it's clogged. Have you tried to clean it? The microphone is between the digital crown and the side button. There's nothing on the Apple Web site that I could find that gave advice on this. I'd turn on the water lock

How to use Water Lock and eject water from your Apple Watch - Apple Support

and use something soft like a Q-tip. A bit of alcohol might be OK, but don't use cleaner stuff. Just give it a mild brush. Then turn off the water lock to flush it out when through.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 10:53 AM in response to WishboneF

Do you press the crown before saying, "Hey, Siri?"

Is it possible the microphone is not working? Maybe it's clogged. Have you tried to clean it? The microphone is between the digital crown and the side button. There's nothing on the Apple Web site that I could find that gave advice on this. I'd turn on the water lock

How to use Water Lock and eject water from your Apple Watch - Apple Support

and use something soft like a Q-tip. A bit of alcohol might be OK, but don't use cleaner stuff. Just give it a mild brush. Then turn off the water lock to flush it out when through.

Feb 18, 2023 10:59 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I found this, which doesn't mention the microphone:

How to clean your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple says this about cleaning the watch:

If your Apple Watch has substances or debris visible in places such as the speaker ports, you can hold your Apple Watch under lightly running, warm, fresh water until it's clean. Soaps and other cleaning products shouldn’t be used.

Mar 8, 2023 1:51 PM in response to WishboneF

Alright I found the resolution myself.

before that I’d like to mention an unusual situation: the call that as setup by apple support was never received. So level 2 support has never reached to me and just left this case aside.

Resolution method in my case:

1. on your iPhone only, Turn on Airplane Mode to make sure iPhone is not acting on behalf of the watch. Ref.: Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support.
  2. on the watch: make sure the internet connection is up by making a Siri request such as raising wrist for Siri and say “what’s the weather today?” If Siri tells and shows you the weather on the watch then proceed to 3. Otherwise check your wifi connection or remove your mobile data plan and reinstall it. Ref.: Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support. Note that you may have different steps depending on your provider.
  3. Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
  4. check workouts functionality by raising wrist to enable Siri and say “start outdoor walking workouts”
  5. if no workout is launched then turn iPhone flight mode off and make sure Nike Run Club is uninstalled in iPhone’s watch app, if it is installed the uninstall it.
  6. run step 1 again only and after step 1 then step 3 and jump to step 7
  7. Run step 4, if not working try with raising wrist to enable Siri and say “start outdoor cycling workouts”
  8. if workouts still not working: turn off airplane mode off your phone and install Nike Run Club apps via the iPhones watch app
  9. with iPhone airplane mode off and make sure the Nike Run Club apps is installed on your iPhone. If not then install it.
  10. Login to your Nike Run Club profile on your iPhone ont the Nike Run Club iPhone’s app.
  11. check the NRC installation in the settings app from your watch. Once fully installed launch it and press the crown button to go back to the Home Screen and proceed to 12
  12. run step 1 and jump to step 13
  13. run step 4 and 7 for a check if no workout launched restart your watch and try step 4 and 7
  14. now workouts should be launched in the watch while iPhone is not available !

if this method is not working I am guessing your watch needs to be repaired then contact apple support definitely and do not give up :) they’re generally very supportive.

@ Apple support: I would like to suggest the creation of a knowledge article for the resolution mentioned above.

enjoy!

Feb 25, 2023 3:52 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thank you for your feedback.

unfortunately this does not solve my Apple Watch problem.

the microphone was working fine before and after cleaning.

the dictation works seamlessly in 3 languages (English French German) and understand everything I say.

the problem is with Siri capabilities.

when I raise my wrist Siri is listening already I don’t need to say “Hey Siri”

nevertheles I tried pressing the crown to make Siri listen and make the same request. And as long as I do not have my AirPods Pro connected via Bluetooth Siri doesn’t start workouts on my demand.

One more info: this is so far the only app that Siri will face issue with when I ask her something. Calendar, reminders, timer and so on are all working fine. For workouts I must have my AirPods Pro and manually connect them to the watch in Bluetooth in the watch settings.app

thank you for your appreciated support

Mar 4, 2023 3:52 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thank you for your feedback.

unfortunately this does not solve my Apple Watch problem.

the microphone was working fine before and after cleaning.

the dictation works seamlessly in 3 languages (English French German) and understand everything I say.

the problem is with Siri capabilities.

when I raise my wrist Siri is listening already I don’t need to say “Hey Siri”

nevertheles I tried pressing the crown to make Siri listen and make the same request. And as long as I do not have my AirPods Pro connected via Bluetooth Siri doesn’t start workouts on my demand.

One more info: this is so far the only app that Siri will face issue with when I ask her something. Calendar, reminders, timer and so on are all working fine. For workouts I must have my AirPods Pro and manually connect them to the watch in Bluetooth in the watch settings.app

thank you for your appreciated support

Not working - “Hey Siri, start an Outdoor walking/running/cycling workout”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.