Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod displays wrong available spaces

I have added some songs into my iPod 4th generation, the iTunes shows that the remaining space is 9.71GB. However, when I open the "about" in my iPod, it shows that the remaining space is 18.4GB, which is weird.

Note: I have already erased the iPod and added the songs again, but it still shows the wrong information.

The S.M.A.R.T information is:

Retractor: 20

Reallocs: 0

Pending: 0

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 5:58 PM

Sorry for my careless. Yes, the version of my itunes is 12.12.7.1. The time I first noticed my iPod producing odd values was in yesterday, and the available space value in iTunes is correct (changing when I add new songs) and different from the one in "about" (still 18.4 GB).

Note: I directly download the iTunes with version 12.12.7.1, and there's no update for iTunes. The system of iPod is 3.1.1, which is the newest version.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 5:58 PM in response to turingtest2

Sorry for my careless. Yes, the version of my itunes is 12.12.7.1. The time I first noticed my iPod producing odd values was in yesterday, and the available space value in iTunes is correct (changing when I add new songs) and different from the one in "about" (still 18.4 GB).

Note: I directly download the iTunes with version 12.12.7.1, and there's no update for iTunes. The system of iPod is 3.1.1, which is the newest version.

Feb 18, 2023 9:37 AM in response to HexGadgetBIT

Help > About. What version you're able to run depends on what version of what operating system you have so newest version isn't always sufficiently descriptive. And Mac users with Music keep calling that iTunes too.

Shall I assume you mean 12.12.7.1 for Windows? I'm afraid I don't have a 4th gen. for comparison, but my 6th gen. shows used and free, and appears to update with sensible numbers. Do you recall when you first noticed it was producing odd values? Could that correspond with an iTunes update?

tt2

iPod displays wrong available spaces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.