Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constantly System Setting notification about "McAfee has expired" etc.

Hi,

I am constantly getting System Setting notification about: "McAfee has expired", "Turn on your McAfee", "Turn on Your antivirus", "Click here to turn on your antivirus" etc.

All notification as seen in below snapshot.

Does anyone know how to disable and or remove what causes this issue?

On forehand thank you

Kind Regards,

Martin

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 11:41 AM

It is not a website in the traditional sense of opening a website. Rather it is in the Safari Preferences.

Follow this: Safari: Preferences: Websites (from the menu across the top) : Look for Notifications in the column on the left side. Highlight Notification and then scroll through the list on the right hand side. Look for Notifications again and change the allow option to deny.

Hope that helps.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2023 11:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

It is not a website in the traditional sense of opening a website. Rather it is in the Safari Preferences.

Follow this: Safari: Preferences: Websites (from the menu across the top) : Look for Notifications in the column on the left side. Highlight Notification and then scroll through the list on the right hand side. Look for Notifications again and change the allow option to deny.

Hope that helps.

Feb 18, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Mojle

Mojle wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.

The issue is I have never (I can't recall) had McAfee installed on my mac.

Only you would know this, if not—

Sounds more like a phishing attempt or you installed other garbage/malware ...

If you suspect you have installed adware/malware:

>System Preferences>Profiles click into it and then remove all the suspicious things from the list. (This Preference pane will not be present if no profiles found.)

also Verify you are not using SOCKS proxy:

>System Preferences>Networks>Advanced>Proxy   uncheck the box  [Ventura >System Settings> search “Proxy”]

Adware/malware launch daemons can set SOCKS proxies without user participation.

(SOCKS is an Internet protocol that exchanges network packets between a client and server through a proxy server.)

Adware Removal Guide—Manual removal of : http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-identification/

or

Try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

pop-ups

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

Effective defenses against malware and other threats… - Apple Community

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Feb 18, 2023 4:27 PM in response to leroydouglas

I found a solution (hopefully).

In Safari, a webpage called NOTIFICATIONS had permission to show alerts in Notifications centre. Changed to "deny", cleared browser history and no notifications since. Before they came every 30 sec or so.

Again, thank for your input, although it didn't solve the solution initially. But, it made me look around and helped me find a solution in the end. Thanks.

Feb 18, 2023 3:17 PM in response to Mojle

Mojle wrote:

Hi,

I am constantly getting System Setting notification about: "McAfee has expired", "Turn on your McAfee", "Turn on Your antivirus", "Click here to turn on your antivirus" etc.

All notification as seen in below snapshot.

Does anyone know how to disable and or remove what causes this issue?

On forehand thank you

Kind Regards,
Martin

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b257f3bc-5cd9-4eb0-880e-e8dc442f7a89

I would look for the official uninstaller ...

if you already tossed the app you may have to re-install it to uninstall it

for your third party app—if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates/uninstaller

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref

https://www.mcafee.com/support/

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

Feb 18, 2023 3:59 PM in response to Mojle

Mojle wrote:

Checked this too and everything looks ok.

Maybe it had more to do with the site you were visiting—ignore it, don't click it.

In all honesty you did not paint a very big picture... on going, a one off pop-up, every browser, old issue, new issue, etc.

Just because it is made to look like a notification does not mean it is official mac notification ..

popup messages of this sort are a scam—

as following the procedures at the site may lead to damage to the user’s device.

pop-ups

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

Effective defenses against malware and other threats… - Apple Community

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

If you are still at a lose you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Feb 18, 2023 3:59 PM in response to Mojle

Mojle wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.

The issue is I have never (I can't recall) had McAfee installed on my mac.

Download and run EtreCheck (free), and share the report to the clipboard. Then open a new reply here, and press the Additional Text button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box big enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report here, and paste and post the report here.

Feb 18, 2023 8:28 PM in response to Mojle

Mojle wrote:

I found a solution (hopefully).
In Safari, a webpage called NOTIFICATIONS had permission to show alerts in Notifications centre. Changed to "deny", cleared browser history and no notifications since. Before they came every 30 sec or so.

Again, thank for your input, although it didn't solve the solution initially. But, it made me look around and helped me find a solution in the end. Thanks.

It would be instructive to know the link to this "webpage" you call NOTIFICATIONS ?

Constantly System Setting notification about "McAfee has expired" etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.