Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external boot drive

I'm trying to create an external USB SSD bootable Ventura drive and having no luck. I have partitioned my external SSD with a 40GB Mac OS Extended partition and the remaining 470GB as APFS.

Using the Apple doco here Create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support (UK) the "Install macOS Ventura" pkg successfully installed onto the 40GB partition and I then booted from it and started the OS install to the 470GB APFS partition.

At the 28min mark the process stalls for a few minutes and then fails with "An error occurred preparing the update. Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again"

No amount of trying again succeeds.

I also tried cloning my existing OS to the external SSD using SuperDuper which appears to succeed but when I try to boot from it it fails and eventually boots back into the Macbook drive and displays a Kernel panic error.

I should mention this a 'new' refurbished Macbook Air M2 from Apple direct (3 days old) with 24GB RAM and 1TB internal SSD with no other issues or problems thus far.

I'm at a loss so any help appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 11:49 PM

The bootable installer is intended to be created on a usb stick, then that would be used to install onto other media. The way you are using it is incorrect. Your external partition would be the destination of the install from the usb stick.

I don’t know if that is why it failed, though.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 19, 2023 2:06 AM in response to DazzAU

Even if or when you maybe successful installing Ventura to an External Drive

Important element of biotin into that drive involves change to Setting in Startup Utility

Info on that aspect in below link

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

SuperDuper I have not used.

Carbon Copy I do use for years

That Developer has an interesting take on the ASR function in MacOS.

Developers are forced by Apple to use this function in their Cloning Software

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/search/asr%20clone

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

external boot drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.