Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error creating bootable USB installer for Ventura 13.2.1

I am on macOS Ventura (13.2.1)

I have been trying to create a macOS installer on a USB stick using Disk Drill and command line but I keep getting the error:

Error erasing disk error number (-69888, 0)
An error occurred erasing the disk.

I have been using the following command in the terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install_macOS_Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/123

where 123 is the name of the USB drive.

Disk Drill has a function that has the ability to create a bootable USB disk that I have used successfully before on previous OS versions. But even it fails with errors:

Error erasing disk error number (-69888, 0)
An error occurred erasing the disk
Createinstallmedia task exited with status 252

From what I can gather these sorts of errors have been happening for years. However, none of the solutions seem to work in Ventura.

Anybody from Apple have some insight?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 1:58 AM

Predicated on a Full Version of Ventura is Located Only in the Applications Folder of this computer

Using Terminal ( builtin Apple application )

The below command has been used by many including self successfully

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Where Untitled is the name of the External Drive which as a Minimum of 16 GB Drive Capacity.

The same Destination Drive is connected Directly to the computer without any Hub between the two devices.

It is suggested to give Terminal FULL DISK ACCESS

refer to image below

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 1:58 AM in response to MozzaMT

Predicated on a Full Version of Ventura is Located Only in the Applications Folder of this computer

Using Terminal ( builtin Apple application )

The below command has been used by many including self successfully

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Where Untitled is the name of the External Drive which as a Minimum of 16 GB Drive Capacity.

The same Destination Drive is connected Directly to the computer without any Hub between the two devices.

It is suggested to give Terminal FULL DISK ACCESS

refer to image below

Feb 21, 2023 1:35 AM in response to MozzaMT

You are welcome and thank you too

Back in the day, used ti use a Third Party application called Disk Maker if memory is correct.

Then, as the newer versions of macOS came out and things became or complicated and iffy with that application.

Eventually switched to Terminal command line tools and ceased to have as many issues creating Bootable Installer

Error creating bootable USB installer for Ventura 13.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.