Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup iPhone failing for over a year, no meaningful support from Apple

For longer than a year the iCloud backup for my iPhone is failing. I get a message "iPhone not backed up", then at the moment it says 4 weeks since last backup. Then I can go to Backup Settings or click OK. And in the Backup Settings all it turned on.

In the past it would work if I manually kicked off the backup, but this is also no longer the case. I also tried backup to iCloud via my MacBook, also will fail after a long while.

I have backed up a few times with my laptop, but it does not work for me in the long run. Also, I pay quite some money to have iCloud storage available. So it should work.

I have just chatted with Apple Support, and they keep suggesting to backup to my laptop as a solution. I was not getting an answer why they kept suggesting that instead of explaining what was going on.

I have 200GB of storage at iCloud in total, used 112GB at the moment. The amount of backup storage used is 10GB for this phone.

Now my iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB is on 16.3.1, but it started on whatever version was out last year.

So, now my questions:

• Do I need to backup to my laptop and do a factory reinstall?
  • When I put back the upgrade, will I have the same problem back?
  • Or is there anything I could try to troubleshoot first?
  • And how can I escalate stupid chats with Apple Support? (yes, I'm still steaming a little bit..)

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 2:05 AM

Hello Maarten, sorry this is happening to you, I would try to first delete the iPhone backup data from iCloud by doing settings>your name> iCloud >manage account storage>backups> your phone> delete and turn off backup, after that try to restart your phone, and see if that helps, once it turns on again, turn on all the backup options including automatic backup, if that doesn’t work, I suggest plugging your phone into the computer and put it in recovery mode, and make a backup to your computer, and basically factory reset your phone.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 2:05 AM in response to MaartenZuidland2

Hello Maarten, sorry this is happening to you, I would try to first delete the iPhone backup data from iCloud by doing settings>your name> iCloud >manage account storage>backups> your phone> delete and turn off backup, after that try to restart your phone, and see if that helps, once it turns on again, turn on all the backup options including automatic backup, if that doesn’t work, I suggest plugging your phone into the computer and put it in recovery mode, and make a backup to your computer, and basically factory reset your phone.

Feb 20, 2023 7:36 AM in response to evan_theFloridian

A few hours and 2 attempts later, I have a full backup on iCloud.

Deleting the existing backup, turning it off and on again, restarting a new backup fixed it.

It took over an hour to complete. My first attempt got interrupted, and re-created the old situation (it could not backup).

Again “cleaning up” and restarting worked. My phone did got VERY hot, though. Telling me it was a hard job for it to complete…

Let’s see if it keeps working now…

iCloud Backup iPhone failing for over a year, no meaningful support from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.