Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is apple fixing the 'wrong artwork' problem?

i just moved my entire itunes library onto a new computer - approximately 15,000 songs - and most of them now have the wrong artwork. Almost all are CDs I manually imported 10 years ago, and back then itunes gave me the correct artwork for almost all of them. The newer version of itunes is buggy in this regard, and I do not have the patience to manually fix all 15,000 songs.

So, apple, are you going to fix this? Or do I need to switch to mediamonkey or something else?

Windows

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 12:18 PM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. If you move the library correctly the artwork cache comes over intact.

It might also have helped to embed artwork before the move. I have two scripts that can help with this, CreateFolderArt and EmbedFolderArt. The scripts have a slightly different purpose.

CreateFolderArt ensures that every album folder ends up with a Folder.jpg image which is the art that iTunes already knows about. Side effects are that if artwork has been updated in iTunes the folder art should be updated also, and if any track from the album doesn't have embedded artwork it gets embeded.

EmbedFolderArt was actually written for someone who already had various artwork images stored in the folders and wanted them added to their tracks, but not if iTunes had already downloaded a better quality image. This one should end up with the best quality image for the album being used for every track.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 12:18 PM in response to oliviamacrimmon

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. If you move the library correctly the artwork cache comes over intact.

It might also have helped to embed artwork before the move. I have two scripts that can help with this, CreateFolderArt and EmbedFolderArt. The scripts have a slightly different purpose.

CreateFolderArt ensures that every album folder ends up with a Folder.jpg image which is the art that iTunes already knows about. Side effects are that if artwork has been updated in iTunes the folder art should be updated also, and if any track from the album doesn't have embedded artwork it gets embeded.

EmbedFolderArt was actually written for someone who already had various artwork images stored in the folders and wanted them added to their tracks, but not if iTunes had already downloaded a better quality image. This one should end up with the best quality image for the album being used for every track.

tt2

Feb 22, 2023 3:02 AM in response to turingtest2

tt2, i think that i love you. i think a script is just what i need. i will play around with the ones you suggested.

my original backup drive fried, so i was restricted to an incidental backup which did not contain my library (just the audio files). most of the library is pre-ipod so theres no tags embedded like i am sure there is now.... with vinyl rips, live shows, and obscure crap.... itunes has a lot of trouble with finding artwork for it. with a script i can do the job once and be done with it.

is apple fixing the 'wrong artwork' problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.