Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove an app that I cannot close.

I installed a sound equalizer app that I no longe need. When I try to move it to the trash. I get the message "The item “Boom 2.app” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open." However it does not appear on the dock. When I try to do a force quit it does not appear in the force quit list of apps. How can I force a close so I can uninstall the app?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 3:44 PM

1. When Boom2 is installed you get a notice "Background Items Added (easy to forget about with the passage of time). You can manage this in Login Items Settings.
  2. The message you get while the login items for Boom2 are still enabled.
  3. I'm on an M2 Mac running macOS Ventura: Open System Settings, General, select "Login Items", then for Boom2 slide the selector to off.
  4. Restart & Login again.
  5. Now you should be able to drag the app to Trash.

If you have any problems on an older Mac, let us know what Mac and macOS you are running and I'll try to scout it out for you. Good luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 3:44 PM in response to Bob1177

1. When Boom2 is installed you get a notice "Background Items Added (easy to forget about with the passage of time). You can manage this in Login Items Settings.
  2. The message you get while the login items for Boom2 are still enabled.
  3. I'm on an M2 Mac running macOS Ventura: Open System Settings, General, select "Login Items", then for Boom2 slide the selector to off.
  4. Restart & Login again.
  5. Now you should be able to drag the app to Trash.

If you have any problems on an older Mac, let us know what Mac and macOS you are running and I'll try to scout it out for you. Good luck!

How to remove an app that I cannot close.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.