Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My audio files that were on the files app NOT ITUNES OR APPLE MUSIC are missing

Where did my audio files go?! I have downloaded audio files as well as received audio files via airdrop and saved them to the files app. I went to listen to these files like I normally do and they are missing. I do not nor have I ever used iTunes or Apple Music and I never plan to so they are not there. Where are they and how do I prevent this from happening again? It has happened to me 3 times now.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 11:00 AM

Okay, if they are not locally on your iPhone, or in iCloud Drive, then they are clearly gone. You ask how you can avoid it happening again. Use iCloud Drive instead of local on your iPhone.

iCloud Drive is backed up in the cloud, so if your phone fails or if you get a new phone, you don't have to worry about moving your content as it will always be in the cloud. So I would definitely recommend it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 11:00 AM in response to SisterNos99

Okay, if they are not locally on your iPhone, or in iCloud Drive, then they are clearly gone. You ask how you can avoid it happening again. Use iCloud Drive instead of local on your iPhone.

iCloud Drive is backed up in the cloud, so if your phone fails or if you get a new phone, you don't have to worry about moving your content as it will always be in the cloud. So I would definitely recommend it.

Feb 22, 2023 9:13 AM in response to SisterNos99

In the Files app, you have the option of both saving files in iCloud Drive and locally on your iPhone.

Therefore, check whether you are looking in the right place. You can look at my GIF here under how to enable On My iPhone so you can see what's locally on your iPhone.

My audio files that were on the files app NOT ITUNES OR APPLE MUSIC are missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.