Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending PC and CC from MainStage to control external MIDI

Hi.

I'm considering Mainstage for my live shows, as I can see the "backing track" mode.

The main point is that I also need my playback machine to send out PC info to an external MIDI device (lights, guitar effects changes, etc).

I have a MIDI track in my DAW for that, however, using the DAW as a playback machine for the show is not the best option.

As far as I can understand by watching tutorials, Mainstage can send a PC or CC message at the beginning of the patch's playback, not a sequence of PCs/CCs during the song itself, correct?

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 8:24 PM

Yes, you’re right…it’s not ideal at all.

MIDI files can be used in a variety of ways but not for what you want.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj8El_K8lBw&list=PLntd5dVt6G3_UQLw3yoe9lT321BmUOr2F&t=139s&ab_channel=StephenFroeber

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 26, 2023 9:43 PM in response to Madddcow

I was thinking...

Let's say I have a midi track in Logic (that's where all my backing tracks are created) with all the PCs.

Sometimes I record all the midi events while rehearsing (I change presets and stuff on my pedalboard and all the changes are recorded in real-time to a midi track).

It'd be great if the created midi file could be imported/converted into a script for the Scripter plug to "play it back", that'd save hours in calculating bars/beats/divisions in dozens of songs and setlists... ;-)

Also sometimes the backing tracks don't really stick to a metronome 100%, so calculating bars/beats/divisions will end up being a lot of trial and error process, deffo time-consuming!

Apple should listen up and integrate something into MS.

I was using Digital Performer in the past.

The Chunks function is handy, and every chunk can stop at its end and go to the next chunk directly so that you only have to press the space bar (or press a midi-assigned device for all your play/stop/return needs!).

Sending PC and CC from MainStage to control external MIDI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.