📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro external display flickering after updating to macOS 13.2.1

I have a 16" M1 Pro MacBook Pro from 2021 with two external displays connected to it (one via Thunderbolt, one via HDMI).

Since putting my MacBook to sleep for a few minutes and waking it, one of my displays (the one connected via HDMI) is flickering.

I tried changing all the display settings (resolution, color profile, frequency), using a different cable (still flickering, so it's not the cable) and connecting a Windows laptop (not flickering, so it's the mac and not the display). I also restarted my Mac und turned my display off and on again.

Earlier today, i updated my Mac to version 13.2.1, so I suspect this might have something to do with a software bug. However, the flickering didn't appear directly after the update, but a few hours (and a few times putting my Mac to sleep) later.

Can anyone help me with this?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 2:23 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 26, 2023 2:52 PM in response to elias_2323

Hello elias_2323,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. You've done a great job in troubleshooting this issue and also isolating this issue. Testing multiple cables, updating your macOS version and even testing your monitor on another device were all great steps to try. There are a couple of more steps you can try. See if starting up in safe mode helps. This step can help isolate possible software related issues: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple silicon
1.) Shut down your Mac.
2.) Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3.) Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4.) Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Depending on your results, follow the steps under “If the issue continues in safe mode” or “If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode”. Also, check to see if your external monitor has any firmware updates available. That might be needed.

We hope these steps do help out. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Best of luck.

MacBook Pro external display flickering after updating to macOS 13.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.