Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable FTP Passive Mode in MacOS Ventura

Greets:

I have ran into an issue when using Cyberduck with MacOS Ventura. Whenever I attempt to upload a file on my web server, Cyberduck would return an FTP error of 229, something about FTP passive mode.

I have done a Google Search, and most refer to disabling FTP passive mode, but the info seems specific to the earlier System Preferences. They referenced going to Proxies setting in Network to specifically disable it. I could not find it, but there was a section to "Bypass" proxies that allowed me to add the domain name of my web server, which I did, though I'm not at all certain that this is correct.

When I tried uploading the file again and ended up with the same error, I knew that I needed some assistance to resolve this issue. I am hoping that posting here will led to just that.

Thanks for reading.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 3:22 PM

Okay; I figured it out. I'm scratching my head on this because I never had to do this before in all the years I had both Cyberduck and Bluehost, but doing the following ended up getting my file uploaded without issues.

It's all done in Cyberduck. I created a new bookmark to access my web server via the client. After entering the usual info (server info, username and password), there's a section below Called "More Options." Click on the disclosure triangle to reveal additional options. In the Connection Mode drop-down where it's listed as "Default," click on it and replace it with "Active." Close the window, then connect. After the current directory is listed, I went to the subdirectory (folder) to upload my file to, then drag-and-drop ended up displaying the transfer window, showing the upload, and the completion once it was done.

That was not easy, and might be worth a YouTube video soon because it can be useful for others.

But done and done!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2023 3:22 PM in response to Velanche Stewart

Okay; I figured it out. I'm scratching my head on this because I never had to do this before in all the years I had both Cyberduck and Bluehost, but doing the following ended up getting my file uploaded without issues.

It's all done in Cyberduck. I created a new bookmark to access my web server via the client. After entering the usual info (server info, username and password), there's a section below Called "More Options." Click on the disclosure triangle to reveal additional options. In the Connection Mode drop-down where it's listed as "Default," click on it and replace it with "Active." Close the window, then connect. After the current directory is listed, I went to the subdirectory (folder) to upload my file to, then drag-and-drop ended up displaying the transfer window, showing the upload, and the completion once it was done.

That was not easy, and might be worth a YouTube video soon because it can be useful for others.

But done and done!

Feb 25, 2023 2:40 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hello Bob and thanks for the reply! I actually was on the phone a couple of weeks ago with a Bluehost tech, and after a few attempts his suggestion was to switch to FileZilla, which we tested and it did work. While it does work, I'm finding that answer unacceptable. I used Cyberduck for years, and I do feel that the issue has to be with some change in MacOS (I had not used Cyberduck in almost a year, at this point), or the client, or the server. I'm determined to find out, and I will contact them again in hopes that this can get sorted. Thanks.

Disable FTP Passive Mode in MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.