Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find "Aperture" on Image Capture 8.0?

I am stuck with Mojave (10.14.6) until Apple finally markets the Mac Pro (desktop) using Apple Silicon M(1 or 2) chips. Apparently this is the only version of Image Capture that works on this iteration of the OS; at least I can not find any mention of a later iteration.

No matter the print density of the document, when I scan to JPEG B&W the print invariably comes out light gray/faded, in some instances, barely legible.

There seem to be no (print density?) controls, although in an older thread somebody mentioned manipulating the Aperture control, which apparently does not exist in Image Capture 8.0. I retired from teaching 6 years ago; otherwise I'd have one of those yellow report/paper covers, which I think might force the app to render closer to true black instead of 50% or so gray.

Scanning with a Canon MF 4320–4350.

I have not found any relevant discussions. If there is a solution, or if nothing was ever done to make this version of Image Capture actually capture a good image, I would appreciate knowing. Or if somehow the MF can be held responsible for what the app can do, I'd like to know that, too.

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 10:36 AM

Have you installed the latest printer/scanner drivers for the device?

Canon Support for imageCLASS MF4350d – Canon U.S.A.

FYI - the current version of Image Capture is also 8.0 for Catalina.

As far as I can tell, there is no "aperture" control in IC. About the closest you can get will be the manual Image Correction controls available when you select Show Details at the bottom of the IC app window.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2023 10:36 AM in response to whldorsey

Have you installed the latest printer/scanner drivers for the device?

Canon Support for imageCLASS MF4350d – Canon U.S.A.

FYI - the current version of Image Capture is also 8.0 for Catalina.

As far as I can tell, there is no "aperture" control in IC. About the closest you can get will be the manual Image Correction controls available when you select Show Details at the bottom of the IC app window.

Feb 26, 2023 11:00 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I did update the software for the multifunction printer. (I'd done that a year or so ago but it did not work properly and Canon's boilerplate, probably automated, answer was "That is the correct driver." So a couple of months ago I decided to see if they had the same drivers, but they had finally upgraded. I downloaded, installed, and the problems I had been having no longer existed.)

As for the scanner:

After posting a little while ago, I fiddled around a bit more, then opened the scan in Preview and, lo and behold!, discovered the Adjust Color window — which I am playing with, in combination with various file types — which seems to be the place I should have been all along. Silly me, thinking that the Scan function was the only potential control.

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2023 11:11 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I had forgotten all about asking about Aperture until I saw the subject in the confirmation in Apple Mail (which, for some reason, even though I am again opening it in Safari, required me to go through 2-factor then inform me that this same computer and version of Safari constitute a new device!).

In an earlier discussion about too-light print, someone mentioned Aperture, which I took to be an Image Capture command. I looked up Aperture and thereby learned it was a different app for something different. Since it was irrelevant to what I was working on, I don't even remember what.

Further exploration led me to in the Adjust Color control window I mentioned in my response a few minutes ago.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

Where do I find "Aperture" on Image Capture 8.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.