Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular for iPhone and Apple Watch

So currently I have cellular Apple Watch SE connected to my dad’s phone via family sharing. I am going to get a new phone soon but don’t know if a can have the same number (the one currently in my watch) on to both my phone and my watch. I still have the physical sim that came with the eSim for my watch from t-mobile. Can anyone let me know if it is possible to get my watch number on both my phone and my watch like it’s supposed to be with a cellular watch and phone?

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 2:29 PM

If you do not pay to add your Apple Watch to the iPhone cellular plan, then you can pair the Apple Watch to the iPhone as if it were a GPS ONLY Apple Watch.

In GPS ONLY mode, it will do EVERYTHING, an activated cellular Apple Watch will do, AS LONG AS the iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally in the same moderately sized home, or on your person when you leave the house. And for less money a month. In GPS ONLY mode you can even use one of the cheaper celluar providers that do not support the Apple Watch, as in GPS ONLY mode, the cellular carrier does not have anything to say about your Apple Watch.

If at some later time you want to activate the Apple Watch cellular radio, you can do that, as long as your carrier supports the Apple Watch. In the U.S. it is generally $10 a month on top of your iPhone cellular bill (your mileage may vary)

No matter which mode you use your Apple Watch in, it will have a lot more features then you currently have as a dependent child controlled via your parent's iPhone.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 2:29 PM in response to selot_p18

If you do not pay to add your Apple Watch to the iPhone cellular plan, then you can pair the Apple Watch to the iPhone as if it were a GPS ONLY Apple Watch.

In GPS ONLY mode, it will do EVERYTHING, an activated cellular Apple Watch will do, AS LONG AS the iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally in the same moderately sized home, or on your person when you leave the house. And for less money a month. In GPS ONLY mode you can even use one of the cheaper celluar providers that do not support the Apple Watch, as in GPS ONLY mode, the cellular carrier does not have anything to say about your Apple Watch.

If at some later time you want to activate the Apple Watch cellular radio, you can do that, as long as your carrier supports the Apple Watch. In the U.S. it is generally $10 a month on top of your iPhone cellular bill (your mileage may vary)

No matter which mode you use your Apple Watch in, it will have a lot more features then you currently have as a dependent child controlled via your parent's iPhone.

Cellular for iPhone and Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.