Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot open library 3143

While I was changing the System Library, Photos crashed and I cannot re-open the library file. I get the error message 3143, and Photos seems to be struck in the changing of the System Library.

The Option and Option+Command and repair do not achieve anything.

Anyone experienced this?

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 5:22 PM

Thanks so much for visiting the Apple Support Communities keithedwards275,

If you are unable to get your Photos library to open even after attempting to repair it, please get in touch with Apple Support directly. They will have access to the necessary tools and resources to further assist with your Photos issue. You can do that here: Get Support.

Have a wonderful day.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2023 5:22 PM in response to keithedwards275

Thanks so much for visiting the Apple Support Communities keithedwards275,

If you are unable to get your Photos library to open even after attempting to repair it, please get in touch with Apple Support directly. They will have access to the necessary tools and resources to further assist with your Photos issue. You can do that here: Get Support.

Have a wonderful day.

Mar 2, 2023 3:15 AM in response to Lindsay_B.

Thanks Lindsay

I have inadvertently found a solution.

I backed up the can't-open-file to another location; then renamed it to accurately reflect date, etc; then thought - let's-give-it-a-go - and double-clicked on it, and it opened fine, and I was then able to make it my SYSTEM LIBRARY.

Solved, though dont quite know the problem or the solution

Mar 2, 2023 8:03 AM in response to keithedwards275

That great! Are you using an external drive? If so, that could be a problem. To get full functionality (and to avoid damaging the Photos Library) an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Additionally, the drive can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted.

Just checking...

Photos cannot open library 3143

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.