Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods max connecting but no sound

I'm trying to connect my AirPods max to my iPhone/MacBook, the device is connected via Bluetooth, but no sound. I've tried resetting to the factory settings, charging them, and taking in and out of the case. Nothing has helped.

I'm wondering whether the problem could be in a headband, as I've tried to remove it once few weeks ago (started facing the problem yesterday). Please, if somebody had a similar behaviour and solution for it, I would be very grateful if you could share it.

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 7:54 PM

Hi yarishb,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Am no expert in this field, yet your post surely deserves a response.

Wondering which iPhone/MacBook models, and which iOS/MacOS versions you use.

Wondering too, if Apple support's articles can help troubleshoot / find the cause:

Eg:

Scroll to: "Listen and control audio with your AirPods Max" in the article (link below)

Connect and use your AirPods Max - Apple Support

Re: Nothing has helped:

You have tried some very good steps! Thank you for letting us know.

Maybe try:

Click the Apple icon in the top menu bar > About this Mac > System Preferences > Sound > output, where you can control / experiment with / the output volume.

Set up AirPods Max with your Mac and other Bluetooth devices - Apple Support

Eg: says:

"If sound still plays from your Mac speakers, click either the Bluetooth menu or the volume control in the menu bar and make sure that your AirPods Max are selected as the output device".

else:

You might want to try a different "mode" to see if that works:

Eg: See if the audio plays through the AirPods Max in airport mode

or

try switching modes:

AirPods Pro and AirPods Max Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode - Apple Support

What to do: If sound quality is reduced when using Bluetooth headphones with your Mac - Apple Support

"Quit any apps that use the microphone on your Bluetooth headphones such as video conferencing or chat apps.

Make sure that System Settings (or System Preferences) isn't open and showing your Sound settings".

Else:

Could another open app (eg Game with audio) be "over-riding" the earphones audio

Hope this helps :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 7:54 PM in response to yarishb

Hi yarishb,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Am no expert in this field, yet your post surely deserves a response.

Wondering which iPhone/MacBook models, and which iOS/MacOS versions you use.

Wondering too, if Apple support's articles can help troubleshoot / find the cause:

Eg:

Scroll to: "Listen and control audio with your AirPods Max" in the article (link below)

Connect and use your AirPods Max - Apple Support

Re: Nothing has helped:

You have tried some very good steps! Thank you for letting us know.

Maybe try:

Click the Apple icon in the top menu bar > About this Mac > System Preferences > Sound > output, where you can control / experiment with / the output volume.

Set up AirPods Max with your Mac and other Bluetooth devices - Apple Support

"If sound still plays from your Mac speakers, click either the Bluetooth menu or the volume control in the menu bar and make sure that your AirPods Max are selected as the output device".

else:

You might want to try a different "mode" to see if that works:

Eg: See if the audio plays through the AirPods Max in airport mode

or

try switching modes:

AirPods Pro and AirPods Max Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode - Apple Support

What to do: If sound quality is reduced when using Bluetooth headphones with your Mac - Apple Support

"Quit any apps that use the microphone on your Bluetooth headphones such as video conferencing or chat apps.

Make sure that System Settings (or System Preferences) isn't open and showing your Sound settings".

Else:

Could another open app (eg Game with audio) be "over-riding" the earphones audio

Hope this helps :-)

AirPods max connecting but no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.