Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major problem with Apple Mail: Unable to Delete Junk Mail

Hello,

I am suddenly having some major issues with Apple Mail. These problems started only a day ago.

I have recently begun receiving a lot of junk mail, and after the "Apply Rules" option mostly failed, I have just been mass moving all my Junk Mail to Trash until I can figure out how to just automatically delete these junk messages. However, after I had moved all the Junk to Trash, I started getting these random pop up messages saying "The message (email name) could not be moved to mailbox "Trash - iCloud".

Here is a picture of one such message: https://i.ibb.co/QC2CV3c/delete-mail-fail-1234143.png

This has never happened before and I have no idea what to do to fix this and get rid of all this junk mail. What do I do?

Any and all help with this is of course appreciated!

• MGV

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 11:15 AM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Miss Mal

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Mar 1, 2023 2:50 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok so I tried it in Safe Mode (at least I think I did), and now the problem seems to be gone, so that's good! I was finally able to get rid of those junk messages.

I had no prior knowledge of what POP/IMAP accounts are, but after looking them up I definitely have an IMAP account. I'm going to look further into this to see if I can prevent this and the further buildup of junk mail in my account.

If the problem returns or persists again, I will certainly come back here, thank you!

Major problem with Apple Mail: Unable to Delete Junk Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.