Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempts to erase 'APFS volume group' (or each volume) results in internal error (-69623)

My APFS volume group named macOS SSD have become corrupted and I wish to start over again with a newly wiped drive. Attempts at deleting APFS Volume "macOS SSDD" or "macOS SSDD - Data" or both as a volume group are always met with the error:

"Deleting APFS Volume “macOS SSD - Data”

Deleting APFS Volume from its APFS Container

Unmounting disk2s1

Erasing any xART session referenced by 954087A7-D98A-4AB2-9D5C-769660303942

Deleting Volume

An internal error has occurred. : (-69623)

Operation failed... "

Apple Support seems to think it must be a hardware issue. My thinking is that if I could somehow erase the drive (some 'nuclear option' in terminal) and take it back to its original condition then I could reinstall it all over again. Does anyone know my options here?

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 12:07 PM

nomdegar wrote:

My APFS volume group named macOS SSD have become corrupted and I wish to start over again with a newly wiped drive. Attempts at deleting APFS Volume "macOS SSDD" or "macOS SSDD - Data" or both as a volume group are always met with the error:
Unmounting disk2s1
Deleting Volume
Operation failed... "
Apple Support seems to think it must be a hardware issue. My thinking is that if I could somehow erase the drive (some 'nuclear option' in terminal) and take it back to its original condition then I could reinstall it all over again. Does anyone know my options here?

If you are booted to drive you can not delete Volumes you are booted to...

This would be done from Recovery/Internet Recovery Disk Utility.app>View>Show All Devices for the big picture.

However If your goal is to erase...

ref: Erase your Mac - Apple Support

or

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2023 12:07 PM in response to nomdegar

nomdegar wrote:

Unmounting disk2s1
Deleting Volume
Operation failed... "

If you are booted to drive you can not delete Volumes you are booted to...

This would be done from Recovery/Internet Recovery Disk Utility.app>View>Show All Devices for the big picture.

However If your goal is to erase...

ref: Erase your Mac - Apple Support

or

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Mar 2, 2023 8:47 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, since I could no longer boot, and external recovery kept sending vague error messages as above. I tried the terminal using diskutil eraseDisk command. I received: Unable to begin erase operation: "A writable disk is required (-69772)."

So, I'm in contact with Samsung. I have only been using their SSD 970 EVO Plus NVNe drive for about 9 months and there is a 5 year warranty. There were no problems until there were problems! I guess that's the nature of SSD drives which don't last forever. I'm glad I backed up.

Attempts to erase 'APFS volume group' (or each volume) results in internal error (-69623)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.