Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

password problems

Suddenly my MacBookAir would not recognize the password which was working earlier. Through my Apple ID I reset the password which it would not accept until it asked for no different symbols. Can I change my password now which includes symbols? I really don't like the password being too simple.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 5:07 PM

Hey BD79,

We’d be happy to help out. It’s not entirely clear what you mean by it not allowing you to use a symbol when creating your new password, but you should absolutely be able to. Perhaps the symbol you used or the sequencing involing those symbols was the issue, but you’re more than welcome to use a password with one and you can change your password as many times as needed.

For help with doing so, please review these steps:

Change your Apple ID password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch
1. Tap Settings > your name > Password & Security.
2. Tap Change Password.
Change Your Apple ID Password
3. Enter your current password or device passcode, then enter a new password and confirm the new password. Forgot your password?
4. Tap Change or Change Password.

This is outlined further here: Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 5:07 PM in response to BD79

Hey BD79,

We’d be happy to help out. It’s not entirely clear what you mean by it not allowing you to use a symbol when creating your new password, but you should absolutely be able to. Perhaps the symbol you used or the sequencing involing those symbols was the issue, but you’re more than welcome to use a password with one and you can change your password as many times as needed.

For help with doing so, please review these steps:

Change your Apple ID password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch
1. Tap Settings > your name > Password & Security.
2. Tap Change Password.
Change Your Apple ID Password
3. Enter your current password or device passcode, then enter a new password and confirm the new password. Forgot your password?
4. Tap Change or Change Password.

This is outlined further here: Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Mar 4, 2023 5:57 PM in response to UTBadger

Thank you. It was a strange thing with my MacBook Air. It suddenly shut down and would not respond to being opened by its present password, finger touch or Apple watch. And then eventually I was able to get it opened and when I wanted to create a password it would not allow me to put in @ or # or %. But now all is peaceful and I did change the password. Thanks. I wonder if my computer had been invaded by something. At any rate, all is okay now.

password problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.