Password not working on new MacBook Pro

I have a brand new MacBook Pro. Having set a password and a suitable hint, I then didn't use it for a few days. When I came to use it the password doesn't work so presumably I've forgotton it and the hint seems to suggests the same "wrong" password.

I've tried to follow the support help but no matter how many times I put in the wrong password I do not get the opportunity to use my Apple ID to reset the password. If I hold down the power button on restart I get the options - including to reload the OS. As it is a new machine I don't have any data to lose so that would be fine BUT... it came from Apple preloaded with Logic Pro.

So:

Is there some way to reset the password using my Apple ID?

Is there any other way to reset my password?

If I have to choose the reset/reload option will Logic be restored as well?

If not how do I get it back?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 8:24 AM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2023 9:15 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

OK, I'm not expressing myself very well. I'm very computer literate but NOT an Apple person.

I have tried the basic things but they didn't work for me so I went to the If you can't..... I worked my way down and nothing was appropriate until I got to Use the Reset Password assistant. Now reading through that I got to Deactivate Mac. This is where I went Whoa, hold on, is this a no going back sort of thing?

As I mentioned - the thing is brand new - Logic was preloaded so I have no media and no licence codes etc.

So I am very wary of progressing too far and basically trashing the existing install by not understanding the consequences of what I am doing.

That is why I am asking people who really know MacOS - is this the best route forward, or is someone going to say Oh you don't have the licence key? While you were in the terminal window you should have done XYZ.

So I'm sorry if I come across as being dumb, but with regards to MacOS, I am.

So, is there anything I can or should do before I Deactivate the Mac, given that if that doesn't work I will have to Erase and Reload the OS and Logic?

Password not working on new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.