Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto import into Photos Library on Mac

I've set up my initial Photos Library by importing from the various folders of photos I have on my Mac. I've kept the original photos in the original locations. If I add new photos or make copies of photos in those folders, how do I get those loaded or registered in the Apple Photos Library? Is there a way to automatically sync, i.e. keep the Photos Library up to date, or do I have to re-import?

Maybe I've missed something but a wide variety of searches hasn't come up with anything.

I'm running the latest version of Ventura on a 2020 iMac.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 8:25 AM

While Photos will keep track of pictures in other Photos Libraries on other devices, it does not monitor Finder folders. You may hear that there is a process called a "Reference Library," in which pictures are stored in Finder folders, but it won't keep track of them or notice if a new one is added to a folder. (Also, "Referenced Library" is only barely supported and can be the cause of real headaches.)

So the synchronization technique that Photos offers occurs only after you turn on iCloud and give it permission to mess around in your other Photos Libraries, all handled by the Photos app. There's not a method to have Photos mess around in Finder folders and, frankly, I'm glad of that!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 8:25 AM in response to bobbd

While Photos will keep track of pictures in other Photos Libraries on other devices, it does not monitor Finder folders. You may hear that there is a process called a "Reference Library," in which pictures are stored in Finder folders, but it won't keep track of them or notice if a new one is added to a folder. (Also, "Referenced Library" is only barely supported and can be the cause of real headaches.)

So the synchronization technique that Photos offers occurs only after you turn on iCloud and give it permission to mess around in your other Photos Libraries, all handled by the Photos app. There's not a method to have Photos mess around in Finder folders and, frankly, I'm glad of that!

Mar 4, 2023 9:04 AM in response to bobbd

You would have to add a folder action to the folder where you drop the new photos.

I have not tested, if folder actions are still working for importing photos to Photos. I stopped using them, when auto import made Photos crash on macOS 10.13 High Sierra. Perhaps it has been fixed in the current system version.

This is how it used to work: Automator Service for an Auto Import Folder - Apple Community

Auto import into Photos Library on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.