Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recipient can't read attachments in Pages

For the first time on my new MacBook, I sent a document written in Pages (which came on the new MacBook; my old Mac had Word). The recipient can't open the document written in Pages. Does this mean I can now only communicate with people who have Macs w/Pages? That's hardly efficient.

The Apple store at Pioneer Square in Portland certainly didn't tell me it was going to be like this.

By the way, whoever replied to the other person's query and critiqued the question without offering any substantive answer, didn't help the conversation.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 7:06 PM

What is your general goal for the document here? Sending a document, or collaborating with the recipient?

Usual format for mailing around documents is PDF. Pages can export to that, and you can attach and mail that. All Apple platforms, Microsoft Windows, and most other platforms all have a PDF viewer.

Here is how to share and to collaborate documents using Pages, including if the recipient doesn’t have Pages:

Collaborate on documents in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote on iPhone, iPad, and Mac - Apple Support

They will need a web browser, but will not need a Mac or any other Apple device, or an Apple ID:

Intro to collaboration in Pages for iCloud - Apple Support

If the recipient has Word, Pages can export to that and mail that.

Apple has an intro to Pages available:

Intro to Pages on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2023 7:06 PM in response to Parker_14

What is your general goal for the document here? Sending a document, or collaborating with the recipient?

Usual format for mailing around documents is PDF. Pages can export to that, and you can attach and mail that. All Apple platforms, Microsoft Windows, and most other platforms all have a PDF viewer.

Here is how to share and to collaborate documents using Pages, including if the recipient doesn’t have Pages:

Collaborate on documents in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote on iPhone, iPad, and Mac - Apple Support

They will need a web browser, but will not need a Mac or any other Apple device, or an Apple ID:

Intro to collaboration in Pages for iCloud - Apple Support

If the recipient has Word, Pages can export to that and mail that.

Apple has an intro to Pages available:

Intro to Pages on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2023 5:17 AM in response to Parker_14

Short answer is the only application in the world that can open a Pages document is Pages, and that means the recipient must have an Apple device with the appropriate version of Pages on it, or the ability to use Pages in iCloud.

If the recipients purpose is to only read, then send a PDF, and if otherwise unknown, send an exported Word document. Since Pages is not a Word clone, what you see in Pages before exporting to Word may appear differently to the recipient opening that Word document in Microsoft Word, or a Word clone.

Recipient can't read attachments in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.