Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop McAfee popups appearing in Notifications?

McAfee popups keep appearing in Notifications - how to stop?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 10:05 AM

Summarizer

In order to stop annoying McAfee pop-ups from appearing in Notifications on MacOS, you can go inside and change the Notification Settings and define How often You want to see the McAfee pop-ups. You can also set notification Level And STOP GeneralNotification.1 Additionally, you can disable Active Shield pop-ups by turning off all alerts in the McAfee SecurityCenter.2 Finally, to remove fake McAfee Virus Popup Scam you should go to each of your browsers and remove any rogue and suspicious extensions as well as block any questionable sites that have notifications.

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.
  5. softwater

User level: Level 5 (5,557 points)

Feb 16, 2020 3:04 AM in response to sukwaria

If your browser prefs are locked down, you'll probably find the reason in System Preferences > Profiles. 

Remove all profiles you don't recognize, then run something like DetectX to clear out the persistence agents. 

https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Disclaimer: DetectX is a utility I develop; you do not need to pay for it to use it to use it. It does not collect your data or require any form of subscription/login.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 10:05 AM in response to Ron Ellis

Summarizer

In order to stop annoying McAfee pop-ups from appearing in Notifications on MacOS, you can go inside and change the Notification Settings and define How often You want to see the McAfee pop-ups. You can also set notification Level And STOP GeneralNotification.1 Additionally, you can disable Active Shield pop-ups by turning off all alerts in the McAfee SecurityCenter.2 Finally, to remove fake McAfee Virus Popup Scam you should go to each of your browsers and remove any rogue and suspicious extensions as well as block any questionable sites that have notifications.

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.
  5. softwater

User level: Level 5 (5,557 points)

Feb 16, 2020 3:04 AM in response to sukwaria

If your browser prefs are locked down, you'll probably find the reason in System Preferences > Profiles. 

Remove all profiles you don't recognize, then run something like DetectX to clear out the persistence agents. 

https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Disclaimer: DetectX is a utility I develop; you do not need to pay for it to use it to use it. It does not collect your data or require any form of subscription/login.

Mar 5, 2023 8:30 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for reply. First, Safari prefs for popups, notifications, extensions are ok. The McAfee problem occurs even when Safari is off.

In System Prefs (for my Catalina 10.15.7 OS), I don't see a View menu. If I search for view, it highlights a few items like Security and Notifications. Search for Profiles gives nothing.

Before posting this question, I did set notifications to "do not disturb". At least that stopped the appearance of the popups, but I can see them building up on the notification list. And I need to reset the no disturb every day.

BTW, I don't use McAfee products (but my Norton Antivirus shows no issues).

Thanks

How to stop McAfee popups appearing in Notifications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.